Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Broadcast Engineering Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

cva6633

I just finished my first year of college and next year my school is offering a new program, Broadcast Engineering Technology.

My main question is: is there anyone here working in the industry, and whats it like?

I know this is quite an open question, but I just want to get an idea what a job in the field is about. I enjoy playing around with electronics and want to learn more about it, and because the school doesn't have an electronics program, I was looking at broadcast tech.

Any opinoins would be a great help.

Heres a link to the program page:
**broken link removed**

Thanks

Maybe I can offer some input--
I started out in my college days with a FCC 3rd class radiotelephone permit. I eventually earned the FCC First Class license which allowed me to be a broadcast engineer and perform alignments, repairs, and adjustments to transmitters and such. If you take the college course offered and obtain anada's equivalent of the broadcast engr's license, you can qualify for a chief engr. position. Go for television career rather than radio since the video field often pays more in wages. In a good upscale market, TV engineers can earn a good living. You can also seek employment with communications manufacturers, like Motorola, Harris, Kenwood, etc. Having the license is the same as an auto mechanic having his vehicle inspection license. Without it you're only half marketable to employers. It's not an easy test either, and requires knowing electronic theory, radio/tv comm. principles, and rules/regs.

Last edited:
I had a first phone beginning in my freshman year of college. For a college student it seemed like a license to print money. (In summer jobs I made double that of the typical student.)

I haven't see the 'first phone' license mentioned in many many years. Is it still issued? I can only find First Radiotelegraph License on the FCC site. There's a General Radiotelephone license, which doesn't seem like a good match either.

What are the current requirements to staff a radio or television station in the US?

Last edited:
But to answer the OP, the curriculum description looks more like preparation to be a field technician than a design engineer. I would expect the graduate to be able to assemble a system from boxes of electronic stuff with little understanding of what's actually inside. It probably varies according to which version of "English Language" that you speak. Also depends on what you want to do.

mneary- The First Class license has been renamed to General as you mentioned. I don't keep up on it much since my career path has changed towards 'puters and IP based conferencing. Don't get it confused with the General Class Permit issued to radio amateurs (hams).. as that permit is is far less in requirements. Permits are different than licenses. I don't know why the FCC changed things but First Class sure sounds classier than General Class!

I think i would be more interested in a field tech then an engineer.

This is just a diploma program, i wont be getting a degree from it, so i doubt id get a design job. in Canada, you have to attend university to get a degree, you can only get a diploma from a college.

And now that you've mentioned it, does anyone out there now the different licenses for technicians in Canada?(or maybe thats a question for another post)

Thanks

A broadcast engineer is a broad category.
The word engineer really should be technician.

Some “radio personalities’ have an ‘engineer’ to set the volume and play the music find the news etc. Really an off air go-for.

Often a broadcast engineer has a 2 year associate technician diploma. And a FCC General license which is not much but required to work on the big transmitters but not required to work at the studio.

An engineer sets up before the football game and tears down after. There is a maintenance seclude, and repair. I built, from ground up, many control rooms and recording studios.

I spent many a night (12 to 6am) working on the transmitters. The tube transmitters required too much work. In a newspaper there is a picture of me sitting cross lagged on top if a broadcast tower. (not smart) Many engineers will not clime a tower.

I found it fun and exciting, good money for two years of school. It paid for my 6 years of school.

Broadcast Engineer Technology is (from what im used to when working @ **broken link removed**) making systems that allow TV (or radio)networks to produce and distribute their signals.

I would think that you learn about the differnet transmission types, how to embed sound in a videosignal (with out loss of signal quality), how tu mux four SD signals on one HD line etc.etc.

hope it helps you a bit.... And yes the term Engineer is used in a vast variaty of positions that could be named technician...

To help clarify things:

FCC - Types of Licenses, Permits, and Endorsements

From what I see of that site, I still value my First Class License since it was (and IMHO still is) the #1, top-shelf license issued by the FCC. The requirements for it were lengthy and obtaining it was not a cake-walk like many of these newer types seem to be. Same for the FCC Radio Amateur Extra Class ticket which is a highly coveted license for ham radio operators.

For Canada, perhaps this website: **broken link removed**

cva6633 said:
And now that you've mentioned it, does anyone out there now the different licenses for technicians in Canada?(or maybe thats a question for another post)

There is no government requirement, nor is there a license required to be a broadcast engineer ( aka: technician) in Canada.

I was offered a job by a TV station in 1982 just because I repaired a few U-matic VTRs for the station. They didn't have anybody in house who was experienced with Japanese electronics. That was my "foot in the door".

Good luck finding employment in this field. A job rarely becomes vacant. Fewer techs are needed as the technology becomes more simple and reliable. I have no idea why colleges teach broadcast engineering. Ask them what percentage of graduates actually find employment in the field! If you are not also being taught electronics theory and practise or do not already have this experience you have no chance. Zilch.

What is the college's definition of "broadcast engineer"? Is it just being an equipment operator? You certainly don't require any degree or diploma to get a job twiddling knobs on an audio board.

Last edited:
There is electronics theory in the course. That is the main reason i'm thinking of taking the program.

It's more then just operating the equipment, or at least I think it does. I'm gonna email the program coordinator cause I've got a couple other questions for him.

Thanks

There is no government requirement, nor is there a license required to be a broadcast engineer ( aka: technician) in Canada.
I find it hard to believe that the Canadian gov. wouldn't require formal licensing of an individual responsible for transmitter alignments/specs.!!! If that were the case, there would be much interference from misaligned transmitters of all sorts. While it may be acceptable to have an unlicensed engr. perform minor transmitter adjustments, it would make good sense to have a truly qualified and approved licensed engr. to sign off on the major stuff. Afterall, you wouldn't want a "handyman" building your dream home would you? No, you'd seek out the skills of a licensed and experienced professional. BTW, repairing video machines and the like doesn't require licensing since it's not considered transmitting electronics. Any Joe can be hired to fix that stuff. But antenna SWR issues, hi-power transmitters, and similar should require a licensed and competent engr.

Canada I do not know but US: A broadcast engineer sits at the studio and plays with tape recorders. That does not require licensing. One person must be licensed to take responsibility for the transmitter and the unlicensed operators.

Technically, both positions are considered broadcast engineer. However the title bestowed on the licensed engr. is Chief Engr. There were days when most radio/tv stations employed at least one Third Class, one Second Class, and one First Class licensed engrs. In todays broadcasting economy and with the FCC relaxing some regulations, only one licensed engr. is needed to "sign off" on logs and xmttr mods./adjustments/repairs... even if he wasn't the person performing the service... it's his /her responsibility to oversee and assure that the xmttr specs meet FCC approval.

You can't legally fix even a CB (Citizen's Band) radio if not properly licensed! And here in the states, CB is a complete joke.

Last edited:
I think it's just a matter of terminology... just as garbage man is equal to sanitation worker! Basically, having a license legally approves an individual to perform repairs, mods, etc. to transmitters or other equipment that radiates signals without the need for an FCC agent to be looking over your shoulder. This is assuming the engr. is performing the work according to FCC rules, regs., and technical specs.

I think it's just a matter of terminology... just as garbage man is equal to sanitation worker! Basically, having a license legally approves an individual to perform repairs, mods, etc. to transmitters or other equipment that radiates signals without the need for an FCC agent to be looking over your shoulder. This is assuming the engr. is performing the work according to FCC rules, regs., and technical specs.

I think broadcast engineering is more communications electronics than with antennas and wave propagation or at least, thats what it sounds like.

There's a hefty amount of RF knowledge needed to get licensed. The exam's questions are structured so that one needs to read a thorough amount which provides the licensee with an in-deptch knowledge base regarding RF propagation, antennas, etc. Although I do know that RF theory does indeed get even deeper than what the exam requires.

There's a hefty amount of RF knowledge needed to get licensed. The exam's questions are structured so that one needs to read a thorough amount which provides the licensee with an in-deptch knowledge base regarding RF propagation, antennas, etc. Although I do know that RF theory does indeed get even deeper than what the exam requires.

Thats how it is for HAM licenses.

Thats how it is for HAM licenses.

I think, and I was reading the IEEE Broadcast society articles.

Article II - Field of Interest
Section 1. The field of interest of the Society shall encompass devices, equipment, techniques and systems related to broadcast technology, including the production, distribution, transmission, and propagation aspects.

One of the subcatergories include but are not limited to HF, VHF and UHF and Microwave frequencies. TV and radio/wireless devices(802.XX.X) basically

So yeah, the antennas and wave propagation of RF is broadcast engineering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back