Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Broad casting TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a movie projector has a frame rate of 24Hz so only fast moving objects appear to jerk, jerk, jerk along. But each image is shown twice so that the resulting 48Hz is not seen as a flicker.

I never said TV or movie films would flicker or be jerky that was just light sources I know the modulation depth is what causes flicker to be seen at lower rates. I thought the example of a bird flying past at a close distance was a good enough example. at 24hz the bird might not even appear in the frame, or be nothing more than a streak, where if you could play it back at say 200 hz you could actually see a few wingbeats, a bill a tail. I've frame by framed a few heavy action scenes in my favorite movies, and it's absolutely amazing how much they have to blur each frame to make it look smooth. There's a scene in the matrix when they're on the roof of a building and Trinity throws a knife at an agents head, the entire scene I think takes place over 4 frames and the knife only appears in one of them. If there were 10 intermediary frames for each one there the immersion into the movie would be much higher. The reason no one's doing anything like that is we simply don't know what we're missing. It'd probably make movies harder to shoot too, because you wouldn't be able to hide so many tricks with motion blur. Many special affects in modern movies like wire removal are done one frame at a time by an artist, so it'd be 10 times the work.

Last edited:
It depends on the bandwidth, maybe for FM radio (sound only) but you'll need more power for TV which has over 8 times the bandwidth.

It's not that I don't care about the laws and regulations, they are in place for a reason. The only reason why I said I didn't care about FCC stuff is because this is going to be used internationally and I will have to get familiar with the laws of my country. I'm basically trying to learn how this thing work and trust me I don't want to go to jail.

I'm pretty sure my country has strict laws, provably very similar of FCC, I will do some research into that and will find out what are requirements, lease options, etc.

For broadcasting local info it shouldn't be a big deal so for educational purposes is the main reason of this thread.

Thanks for that have replied, keep em coming.

It's not that I don't care about the laws and regulations, they are in place for a reason. The only reason why I said I didn't care about FCC stuff is because this is going to be used internationally and I will have to get familiar with the laws of my country. I'm basically trying to learn how this thing work and trust me I don't want to go to jail.

I'm pretty sure my country has strict laws, provably very similar of FCC, I will do some research into that and will find out what are requirements, lease options, etc.

For broadcasting local info it shouldn't be a big deal so for educational purposes is the main reason of this thread.

So you think robbing a bank for 'educational purposes' would be OK?. 'Educational purposes' is no excuse for anything, first contact the authorities and find out what's required, and if it's even possible.

It IS a big deal, it's a serious offence in any civilised country, and in the less civilised ones you could even be shot.

I've got a little experience of local radio in the UK - you first have to provide a LOT of information, and spend a LOT of money in order to get a licence, which comes with masses of strings attached (assuming it's even passed, most aren't). You then (incredibly) have to advertise the licence for other broadcasters to make rival bids, who have saved all the money and work so far getting the licence issued.

I'm only slightly familiar with the process, because a friend was trying to set up a radio station, and asked me to be the station engineer.

I've not heard anything recently, so it may have all fallen through :(

Last edited:

Thanks for that have replied, keep em coming.
If you are talking a foreign country, you have to specify which one because of the varying standards. There are several versions of PAL and SECAM plus the few places that use the NTSC standard. I used to work at a TV station that had a two tube transmitter. . . They were klystrons that fit in cavities the size of refrigerators. :D One for audio and one for video. They fed a sideband suppressor that looked like a plumber’s nightmare that in turn fed the antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back