Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

bring nicads back to life

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokeycmos

i have a 9.6v nicad battery pack for my cordless drill. it only holds a charge for a couple minutes. i have to constantly keep it on the charger so its ready when i need it. i read that these can be shocked back to life. could someone please explain how this works and will i be able to get it to hold a charge for a lot longer? thank you

An old Ni-Cad cell grows metal whiskers inside that shorts it. These whiskers can be blown out by connecting a charged big capacitor to the battery. But then other growing whiskers will soon short the cell.

Your problem is different. Maybe your battery has been over-charged too much or over-discharged too much or too deep and is now not useable.

These whiskers can be blown out by connecting a charged big capacitor to the battery.
I have done that, I also have used a 12v battery to blow the whiskers out of a 1.2v NiCd cell.
(WARNING - things got very hot very quickly. Don't come crying to me if you do it and it goes bang).

Having said all that, the resurected NiCd cells did not last very long.
There is only one real fix...

... buy some new ones, preferably NiMH which will probably have greater capacity for the same physical size.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back