Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Breakout Box pointers

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_W_B

I have only novice electronic background. But to troubleshoot my motorcyle, I want to build a breakout box, since the purchase ones are well over a $100. I see the connectors (on the purchase model) I need to put on either side for my particular breakout box. My question is:

Are the circuits broken inside the box (to pin probe holes) so that you can connect one or more numbered conductors with probe jumpers with the meter testers in series with the conductor?
OR
Are the circuits wired straight thru with the pin probes being wired parallel to the conductors ?

I guess as long as you weren't measuring amps it wouldn't matter except with the former you'd have to jump every line for an operational test.

Appreciate any comments.

Generally in the case of a break out box the test points just tap the lines which go straight through. This of course with the exception of current (if used) which, as you mention, is in series so a jumper is used and removed for current test points.

Ron

Thanks, I guess if one really wanted to put some extra work into one, small switches could be installed on each line with test points on "each" side of the switches.

My biggest challenge cost wise on this project is constructing the pins of correct size and shape to enter into the Large multi pin connector ( Packard 36 place Delphi ECM connector ). In fact the major cost of just purchasing the breakout box is the connector. So I've got to come up with a way to make the pins out of small aluminum or brass rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back