Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Breadboard's maximum current

Status
Not open for further replies.

kypo

Hello everyone,

I am doing some experiments on high-current power supplies (greater than 5A). Any one knows the max current rating for breadboards? Because I'll test various designs on those breadboards. I don't think that the rating will differ from a certain model to another, right? Anyway, check the attachment to see the one that I have.

Thnx in advance ...

Attachments

• breadboard.gif
    breadboard.gif
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,938
Kypo, I don't know what they are rated at, but I've used 5.1 Amps @ 14 Volts (72 watts) on the same bread board with no problems.
I also would like to know it the boards are rated in Amps or Watts?

Solderless breadboards are usually rated for voltage. Considering that you have two sides of a connector grabbing a wire, the rating for current should be fairly decent.

From your picture, it appears that you're using a board that's an Asian import. Cheap, but not backed up with much warranty. If you buy either an E & L or a Global Specialties board (U.S. made and both brands now a division of Interplex Electronics), you'll pay more money. But you'll get an UNCONDITIONAL LIFETIME WARRANTY. If the board ever has a defect, you return it postpaid to the manufacturer and they will send you a brand new board, no additional charge. Defects include manufacturer's defects and ABUSE! If the board starts to accumulate too many bits of wire in the holes; has wire broken off and unrecoverable in too many holes; contacts are getting weak and worn; contacts are sprung from using 2-watt resistors on the board; board is melted from an overdissipated resistor or reversed IC -- ANY OF THOSE and they'll replace the board. Obviously, that'll include a screw-up of too much current that sends contacts into meltdown.

I know this fact to be true because I've been involved in the repair of E&L "Pencilbox" digital trainers that use the E&L breadboards. These were school trainers, abused daily by students. I've sent back literally hundreds of the breadboards with no cost to the school other than the postage to send the board in.

Dean

I HATE to revive a (bit :lol:) old topic, but I was sooo busy for the last two days ... sorry ...

So, do you guys think that I can safely test high-current circuits on the breadboard? Screech, have you tried higher currents? Anything more than 6A ?? Another thing ... howcome the breadboards are rated for voltage? I mean at the end, they're just a bunch of wires connected in a specific way, and wires are rated for current, not voltage. So ?! If indeed the rating is for voltage, then can anyone explain for me what is meant by "voltage" in this case!? AFAIK, there is no voltage between the ends of a wire!

kypo said:
So, do you guys think that I can safely test high-current circuits on the breadboard? Screech, have you tried higher currents? Anything more than 6A ?? Another thing ... howcome the breadboards are rated for voltage? I mean at the end, they're just a bunch of wires connected in a specific way, and wires are rated for current, not voltage. So ?! If indeed the rating is for voltage, then can anyone explain for me what is meant by "voltage" in this case!? AFAIK, there is no voltage between the ends of a wire!

These current figures seem wildly optimistic - I've just checked in a catalogue and the breadboard listed is rated at 1A - which sounds about right to me.

As for the voltage, the rating is probably between tracks - but I wouldn't consider using anything other than low voltages on a breadboard - assuming I ever used one?, mines gathering dust somewhere!.

I know that this is a little off the topic, but it doesn't hurt to know. Breadboards aren't good for anything high frequency; VHF and above. It will save u a lot of time and frustration in case u didn't know this.

This is really confusing!! If the board is rated at 1A, then how Screech used the board at 5A ?! That is a huge difference, its like +500% or so !!

Well, it looks like breadboards aren't so good for high-currents. Can you guys tell me about an easy way for testing & temporary construction of high-current circuits?!

Zach, thanks for the hint. ((I know that, though :wink:))

Useing a pcb trace width calutator
there should be enought meterial on your breadbourd to handle above 5 amps. click the above address.

kypo said:
This is really confusing!! If the board is rated at 1A, then how Screech used the board at 5A ?! That is a huge difference, its like +500% or so !!

It's called 'abusing your equipment' :lol:

I would suggest the limiting factor is the actual contacts, the amount of contact between the wire and breadboard socket is very small.

If you're pushing 5A through it, it's likely to overheat and damage the contacts.

I'm shore he could use more then 10 amps, if he uses multiple pins (holes).
Many pins for supply, many for earth , and many for power out.

I've used them for pretty high currents before, in the range of 5 amps, though not for very long. The problem may be component heat rather than contact failure. You may have a transistor or resistor running hot but well within the component's temp limits, but it'll scorch the plastic. That can happen just the same in the mA range too if the wattage is high enough to raise temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back