Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Breadboard power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boncuk

Hello all,

I guess you all run into the same problem experimenting with a circuit built on a breadboard, especially if more than one supply voltage is required.

The workbench is full with twisted cables which make it likely to grab the wrong one or just to cause a short circuit somewhere.

There are power supplies for breadboards, but taking a close look at the device you will notice that they all waste a lot of precious place which could be used for the circuit to test.

I made a design for a Wishboard No 204-1. The power supply covers just 6 pins of the board, two for each line of power supply. There is a lot of unused space on the mounting plate (normally occupied by 3 banana type plugins). Removing those and replacing them with a simple power supply, delivering 4 different voltages, +12V, +5V, GND, -12V and -5V there is supply for almost any application.

Each line on the board can be jumpered for a different (or equal) voltage. The maximum current for the positive and negative branch is 1A each.

To avoid inadverting shorting of e.g. GND and -12V all the jumpers are out of line which makes it difficult - if at all - to make a wrong jumper setting. Using just three jumpers (for five combinations) for each suppy line it is almost impossible to do anything wrong.

The board can be made single sided using straight wires between jumper rows.

Have a look how the assembly fits onto the breadboard. Everybody interested in the circuit layout will be welcome to receive the Eagle files.

Kind regards. Have a nice day

Boncuk

Last edited:
Sorry, clicked to fast to submit.

Here is the layout.

**broken link removed**

Looks good and is a lot neater than mine. I don't see any switches in the supply lines. Maybe they are there, and I am missing the symbols. I have fewer lines, but have a toggle switch in each. I like using a small (100 ohm) resistor as the jumper to the supply line when I first turn on a new circuit. If it gets warm, I figure something is wrong. The switches make it easy to do that quickly. John

Hi John,

there are no switches except for the AC voltage. Pulling a jumper is as fast as switching. If the jumper pulls an arc something is definetely wrong with the circuit.

Hans

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back