Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Breadboard Power Supply Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, those would work. Anything that supplies power will work. Even one of those wall-wart transformers will work. (cheaper than using 9V's all the time)

Yea, just make sure that you melt solder onto the leads so that they are not just bare copper, or else after a couple times of using them, the wire will get bent and eventually fall off. They may already be like that.

i use this one.

Attachments

• productlarge_2373.jpg
    productlarge_2373.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 554
I'd add a switch, off to the side, so that you can turn power off. You don't want to be building up a circuit with power on. Sure, you can pull the lead from the board or unsnap the battery but either of those options get old quick. An LED to remind you that the power is on might be handy. It does use some power but might be useful in your situation.

Here's a cool little power adapter I saw someone selling.
**broken link removed**

Granted $15 is a tad bit silly for a jack, regular, cap, and switch, so I made my own with a generic Radio Shack solder board. :) You can plug a wall-wart straight into it. I also added two posts for alligator clips. It works rather well. I would definitely recommend making a few. At least one, so you don't have to waste time fiddling with getting power to your project boards. Just grab it, put it in, and you're ready to work. :)

Steve: Yea I might get a switch..if I can find one if radio shack.

bonxer: that seems cool...seems like an interesting future project? Do you have a schematic?

How about something like that? It's got a jack to plug straight into, it's got a +Vin pin and a Gnd pin to connect alligator clips to input power to it. Plus it's got two rows of header pins to plug into the busses on the breadboard. It's kinda bad the way I have this drawn, with the ground snaking around everywhere like that. This was just a quick diagram.

Attachments

• power_board.png
    power_board.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 523
Also if you will use an adapter, one of those that have 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9 and 12 V out, you need measure the voltage because not always is what is in the text, also you will like to put a capacitor in the terminals, at less that work for me in a little project that I was having problems, and where solucionated putting the capacitor there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back