Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Brand new Motor speed controllers (PWM) getting real hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

kal.a

I purchased a CanaKit like the one in this link and I correctly wired it to a 12VDC and did not wire any load to it. As soon as I turn the power on it gets quite hot that it is almost melting. After the first time I tried a few more times but for a second or two just to measure the output at M- and M+ without load and got almost 0 volts. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

I think you may have to have a load connected, wire a motor up to it and try again.
Plus your multimeter may not be able to read the o/p, you really need a meter that will measure duty.

Did you fuse the input?

Did you contact tech support?
upload_2015-12-28_19-37-36.png

Did you connect a fan?
Does it recommend a snubber?

I think the battery or power supply should be close to unit otherwise a low ESR cap may be necessary on unit.

Tech support is your best bet.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
I'm using a 4 Amp transformer and a NTE53020 rectifier1000V,50 A and they're all right there with the controller. No more than a foot of wire.

No fan though one is available as an option

@kal.l that power source does not satisfy the requirements as given.

What caps are used and what voltage? ripple? You better use a 12V battery if it is not damaged already.

Hi Tony,

Why do you say it doesn't satisfy power requirement? 12VDC and 4 amp transformer with no load. I am not drawing anything from it yet. Please explain in as simple a form as possible as all this is new to me.

Thanks
Kal

This unit shows no power conditioning and PWM switch mode drivers depend on a good DC voltage sources.

A transformer and bridge alone is an inductive source a switched load creates large voltage spikes which in turn can create false triggering.

If you are using 50 Hz then the bridge would output 100Hz.
Typically 10% ripple is allowed on input but may be excessive for this product.
If you are driving a motor it has a surge current of 5x to 8x times rated average.

Normally a resistive load only @4A needs almost at least 8 cycle time constant. or RC= 10x 1/100Hz= 1/10Hz ot 100ms time constant.
Using Ohm's Law 12V/4A=3 Ohms thus the demands for C from this type of supply are RC= 0.1sec or C = 0.1/ 3Ohms= 33,000 uF.
Then you need low ESR caps in parallel with this.

That's why I suggested a battery they are thousands of Farads. It can be float charged by your power supply to 13.8V

Although a better choice would be a SMPS such as a 350W PC PSU. ( almost free) using the HDD connectors.

"I purchased a CanaKit "

You either built it incorrectly or the parts are wrong or faulty.

Thanks Colin. The "kit" was put together and all I did was plug it in. But thanks for bringing up the thread as I just realized I unintentionally did not thank Tony for his detail and very informative reply. I believe he was right on the money and though my PWM is now no more, I was able to salvage four mosfets out of it:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back