Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boy hailed for air safety gadget

Status
Not open for further replies.

tansis

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/4111718.stm

Daryn Murray's Aircraft Debris Protector warns pilots of dangerous material lying on runways before they prepare to land.

The 12-year-old from East Kilbride was inspired by the Concorde crash near Paris which was thought to have been caused by a metal strip on the runway.

The British Airport Authority (BAA) is keen to develop the idea.

The operator, which owns Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen airports, believes it could make runways extra safe.

The detector works by using a camera attached to a remote controlled device which rolls along a small track on the side of the runway

Wow! This is most impressive (though I have to wonder if he was 'helped'). I'd like to see how this sensor operates. 8)

yeah, I read about that as well. It's not incredably clear how it actually works though. very interesting though, he (well his parents) want to make sure he does not get ripped off by some company.

Sounds more like an idea... "lets make something to detect metal and debris on the runway"... then a fully working implementable project.

albeit, a really good idea if it's doable. i'll be impressed when i see the prototype or more detailed plans on exactly how it will work. everything i've read has been vague... anyone have any more info then just some cameras on tracks on the side of a runway?

And it seams like there should be a better way to do it then with a camera... the kid's definatly thinking though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back