Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

boxing speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeytree

i have got alot of speakers and i want to box them i think i need
to use chipboard but how do i find the sizes of the boxes that i
need
or any other problems sound disstortion?
thanks!?!?!?!?

Well the box will give the speaker a much better bass sound wont it, and I reckon the only way to perfect the size and design is to experiment. Obviously you're going to be choosing a box which has a volume relative to the size of the speakers you've got so use common sense with that, but then you've got to decide whether you want a sealed unit or whether you want the speaker to have a "breathing port".

Sealed type speaker boxes produce a more punchy bass sound whereas the "breathing port" type produce a lazier, deeper effect. Neither type can really be considered better than the other - it's purely down to personal taste which will be partly influenced by the type of music you listen to.

You can buy speaker boxes ready made too.

Brian

There are software programs for 'speaker cabinet design and I expect you may be able to find a free one, or trial version, if you search the net.

I had one many years ago written in Basic.

You will almost certainly have to know or find out the cone's free-air resonant frequency. If you don't know it and can't obtain it, it can be measured fairly easily but you will need to construct a box with which to load it if I remember correctly.
Again, I am sure this information is also available on the net if you search enough.

And I wouldn't be surprised if another correspondent to this forum had such information to hand anyway.

If not, you could always enquire on a dedicated audio forum. A Google search should lead you to some.

You really need to specify what speakers you have, and what you want to do with them - speaker cabinet design is a VERY complex subject, but you can make reasonable good designs fairly easily.

For a start, what sort of speaker cabinets are you wanting to build?, home stereo or PA?. In the same vein, what drivers do you have?, home stereo, PA (or vastly over rated in-car ones).

Your local public library often has good books on speaker cabinet design that can be adapted to use the parts you have. If nothing else, it would give you some basis for how to design something yourself.

Speaker enclosures ( as correctly stated by Nigel ) are almost considered a " darkart " part knowlege, part magic.

If they are cheap lousy speakers, you can use a complicated set-up to measure their spec's and design a box for them with software. Then they will sound just bad. Without measuring the spec's and without using box design software, then they will probably sound terrible.

If they are good speakers, their manufacturer will have a box plan already designed by them, or spec's for you to use software to design a box to match them.

Why do you have a lot of speakers? I hope it is not because they sounded bad and therefore were replaced. I have lots like that.
I made my speakers with a backwards method. I got some bad-sounding speakers for free that had nicely finished boxes. I used software to find speaker spec's to match them and found and ordered speaker drivers with those spec's. They sound and look great! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back