Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bought new router, for wood that is

Status
Not open for further replies.

fezder

Ok, so some of you might know that i'm carpenter as my education, as well as electrician. As summer is coming, good weather come too, and so i like to do carpentry stuff outside (no need to clean up hehe.....).

So i decided it's time to invest some money for professional-grade router, which was only chinese left in these tools.
Festool is overpriced IMO, bosch didn't have features i was looking for, and Makita, dunno why, but i'we never liked 'em.
For power 1.4kw would have been overall good power, but local shop didn't have it in stock, and unsure whether it comes in stock or now, so i decided to buy 1kw one. There was 2.4kw model too, but i don't need such power yet.

So, i ended up with triton's JOF001, 8mm shaft i needed to buy seperately, but not big deal.

Just figured i'd share this investion with you. Too bad local markets for lumber are pretty scarse....i'd love to get my hands on basswood, perfect for chip carving.

Ok, so some of you might know that i'm carpenter as my education, as well as electrician. As summer is coming, good weather come too, and so i like to do carpentry stuff outside (no need to clean up hehe.....).

So i decided it's time to invest some money for professional-grade router, which was only chinese left in these tools.
Festool is overpriced IMO, bosch didn't have features i was looking for, and Makita, dunno why, but i'we never liked 'em.
For power 1.4kw would have been overall good power, but local shop didn't have it in stock, and unsure whether it comes in stock or now, so i decided to buy 1kw one. There was 2.4kw model too, but i don't need such power yet.

So, i ended up with triton's JOF001, 8mm shaft i needed to buy seperately, but not big deal.

Just figured i'd share this investion with you. Too bad local markets for lumber are pretty scarse....i'd love to get my hands on basswood, perfect for chip carving.
I donated a 3 person reach diameter basswood tree to someone who cut it up after a strong wind blew it down in a storm. Strong fibrous wood, poor for burning, good for carving, had 3 trunks, , 2 bound together, which should have been 3 with aircraft 0.5cm cable and rubber conveyor belt , ended up spawling both neighbours driveway and front street.

Bosch will last longer, but you can upgrade any unit with best Swiss bearings and dynamic balance. If it has any vibration, it wont last long.

I agree, basswood is easy to work. Poplar is another wood to consider. Ramin from Asia is another light, fine grained wood that you find on such things as dowel handles for disposable foam paint brush. I have looked, but have been unable to find dimensional sizes of it in the USA. Finally, there is another fine, straight grained wood used in Britain for model airplanes that is called a cedar, but is definitely not like American cedar. I am blanking on its name right now.

John

Bosch will last longer, but you can upgrade any unit with best Swiss bearings and dynamic balance. If it has any vibration, it wont last long.
gotta keep my eyes open for good bearings, can you recommend any site that could ship to finland?

Okay fellows, got the router today, first impressions are pretty positive, there are however couple, pretty minor actually, but i knew them before i bought:
The device is pretty top-heavy, so probadly needs extended baseplate, which thankfully came in as stock equipment.
Power switch is perhaps not best design, if something sour happens, like if you DROP the router during hand-use. I don't see any system that would shut down the router ICA. Also, the power switch is pretty far away from handles, but, still pretty easily accessbile with thumb. Other than that, i'll tell tomorrow when i test it.
Overall, much better than my previous, (i still keep it if i need it in someplace....)ecpecially depth-setting.

actually i'we been making router table, made from around 16mm veneer, or thicker, can't remember. Not normal veneer mind you, it's that one which smells funny when you saw it, and has two black sides, rougher and smoother. Of course, i use smoother as top. otherwise it's ready, but needs slides for jigs and stuff.

Poplar is another wood to consider.

I cannot say where but even today after maybe more than 15 years, I still recall the finest piece of wood ever. Fine grain, as poplar could have and a nice light creamy-white color.

I always believed that poplar was cheap and low quality until then. Tried to get that nice piece for my modelist brother but failed.

You may be describing ramin.

Poplar is typically considered a cheap, semi-hard wood in the US. Its frequent green hue is a giveaway, but not all poplar is like that. Some can be finished and stained to look like hickory because of its marked variations in color. I was rebuilding a large garage door several years ago and needed a straight grain, strong, and relatively light wood. Cedar was not strong enough. Firs like hemlock and Douglas are not available in the size I needed at reasonable prices in Ohio, but I able to dig through a pile of poplar and found some quartersawn boards. It was a nice looking, wood and I bought far more than I needed for the project -- I have a bad habit of collecting wood when I see good stuff.

John

You may be describing ramin.

Poplar is typically considered a cheap, semi-hard wood in the US. Its frequent green hue is a giveaway, but not all poplar is like that. Some can be finished and stained to look like hickory because of its marked variations in color. I was rebuilding a large garage door several years ago and needed a straight grain, strong, and relatively light wood. Cedar was not strong enough. Firs like hemlock and Douglas are not available in the size I needed at reasonable prices in Ohio, but I able to dig through a pile of poplar and found some quartersawn boards. It was a nice looking, wood and I bought far more than I needed for the project -- I have a bad habit of collecting wood when I see good stuff.

John
Hola John,

As far as I recall, I've always seen poplar translated to "álamo" in Spanish. Its wood here, is used for boxes as packaging for fruit and the better quality is employed for light carpentry and out of sight parts of cheap furniture.

From an English site

poplar trees.jpg

From our province of Mendoza

alamos mendoza.jpg

And, sorry fezder,by the way, also from there (and very good in taste and price)

alamos also.jpg

Enjoy.

And, sorry fezder,by the way, also from there
Nothing to worry about, even thought i'm absolutist, i still accept & understand if other people drink and such....not all drinking is bad! it can be socializing, but here in finland often leads to blood and tears...

I made these drawer boxes for our Kitchen 3 years ago out of some Poplar and ply. I like working Poplar, nice easy grain and takes a decent finish :)

2yuwtqd.jpg

To be honest, i would never had guessed that in this forum are other wood workers than me :D...

**broken link removed**

mine mainly consists of chip carvings
(birch, finished with linseed oil, perhaps was 50/50 combo of linseed & chinese wood oil)

I'm probably less into decorative pieces and more into the practical sort of stuff. The Kitchen I built that has those drawers in for instance, was primarily built using some really nice Hard Maple. It took me about 3 months of digging through material at various places until I found just the right grain matches and colour. I finished the cabinet frames and doors with a little thinned Tung oil and three coats of poly. They came out pretty decent. What I like more than anything about woodworking is the pace. It gives me an opportunity to stop the merry-go-round for a while, just relax and live at a pace I'm able to unwind at. Then there is also that ooooh factor when you create something unique. I would highly recommend any sort of woodworking as a de-stressing tool :)

I would highly recommend any sort of woodworking as a de-stressing tool :)
UNTIL you ruin that one-of-a-cind spalted/figured wood....i remember at school when teacher was turning a pencil from some figured mahogany, then crack, all good work gone to waste :D luckily teacher took it well, started just laughing and said ''it's coffee break'' (or then laughter was due upcoming breakdown....dunno)

(Sort of thread related)...

Managed to score some Ipê (a South American dark hardwood, pronounced around here as "E-pay"), already dimensioned (3/4" X 3/4" X 8') with two adjacent edges radiased. 100's of linear feet, for FREE! Virtually blemish free and you can get the most beautifully precise edges I've ever seen with any wood (using a compound miter (chop) saw with a 80 tooth, 10" carbide tipped blade).

Incredibly hard, fine grained, waterproof and non-buoyant. Tough on blades. Using it to make ceramic tile trivet holders. Also as oyster spat collectors... o_O.

The dust is supposedly toxic :woot:.

To be honest, i would never had guessed that in this forum are other wood workers than me :D...

Much harder guessing is to know who's the best! :nailbiting: :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back