Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bootloader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryten

Im looking to use a bootloader for my PIC16F876A.

When im using the oshonsoft programmer as a ICP (i think "in circiut prorgammer" that is) is it nessesery or do bootloaders only apply when you are using other typs of programmers?

Im thinking of using

A bootloader?

What operating system are you planning to run on your PIC, Mandriva Linux? :rolleyes:

No i was just thinking for easy access when testing and reprogramming (if needed)

Hero999 said:
A bootloader?

What operating system are you planning to run on your PIC, Mandriva Linux? :rolleyes:

Bootloaders are quite normal on pics.:confused:

Mike.

Ok Bill so if I understand you correctly it will be better to use a ICD device than use a bootloader :confused:

Still is the onshnosoft serial programmer device a ICD ??

Pommie said:
Bootloaders are quite normal on pics.:confused:

Mike.
I thought bootloaders just load operating systems?

Why would you want to use one on a PIC with no OS?

Hero999 said:
I thought bootloaders just load operating systems?

Why would you want to use one on a PIC with no OS?

In order to program the PIC without using a PIC programmer - the bootloader code in the PIC can program itself via a simple serial port connection - which is actually how the ICD2 and PICKit2 programmers work. The PIC actually in the programmer is updated via it's bootloader with the required firmware to program the target device selected.

Well I will try to ask again... Is it nessesary to load a bootloader when using the onshnosoft serial programmer device. As i have made the device allready I dont know wheter to use a bootloader first or if its unnessesary seeing that the programmer dont have a pic or anything like it.

What i have read so far (including om the TinyBootloader page) whith my setup i wont need it. Althou I might be wrong

Last edited:
Ok so as long as I use a programmer then I dont need a bootloader..
If I use a bootloader then i can connect the PIC "directly" to my serial port??

Have i got this coorectly now?

More or less :)
You can't directly connect a microcontroller to the serial port, you need a level and logic inverter like the MAX232.
But don't think about bootloaders, you don't need one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back