Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boost driver based on LM2621 (for laser diode)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlasmaCube

Hi everyone,
I've been long wanting to design a general-purpose boost driver for lasers, and I decided to have a go at it. After much researching, I decided to base the design off of an LM2621. I don't have much experience with electronics, so I'm not sure whether there is something better to use or whether it will even function.

Anyway, I mainly relied on the application example from the datasheet (**broken link removed**), except I added a potentiometer for adjustable output.

The idea was to make something compact (thus, use SMD parts) that can boost the voltage from a standard Li-Ion (~3.7 V) to whatever a laser diode would need. Ideally, a constant current driver would be great, but I think what I've made is constant-voltage...
I'm not sure, though. I'm definitely lacking in understanding at this point.

Anyway, I've included the Eagle schematic and PCB images, so if anyone has tips, suggestions, spots a flaw, or knows a better design, it'd be great if you shared.

Thanks!

Attachments

• SuDoDriveSCH.png
    SuDoDriveSCH.png
    16 KB · Views: 833
  • SuDoDriveBRD.png
    SuDoDriveBRD.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 471
the device is obsolete asper National semi. I had hell of trouble searching for this for a replacement in Fujifilm camera IX-100. Only Farnel could supply.
Added, you might have trouble using for a laser diode current source. it might deliver a peak of 2.x amps as per datasheet, but not continuous. The device is too small for your need, i fear. As, anyway, other components make the design any way bigger, you may perhaps look for some other chip. i have to check whether MC34063 can work with a li-on battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back