Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boost Converter for beacon (and siren)

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilxavier

Good Day!

We have been designing a Boost converter that will power up a beacon. Two designs will be made, a 3V/5V to 12V converter and a 12V to 24V converter. I have used LT1935 to design this. The output voltage was fine. I have produced both 12V and 24V for the designs though I dont really have any idea how much output current each design is producing. based on LT1935's datasheet, the sample designs have a range of current is about 600mA to 1mA.

Unfortunately, the beacon we have purchased consumes 1.5A and 0.7A with 12V and 24V respectively. When we tried connecting the circuit to the beacon but the socket sagged. voltage source indicated 3V with 1A supply to the circuit.

May I ask if you have brilliant idea to solve this problem or you can suggest any other boost converter that can supply enough current to the beacon. If the info I've given might be insufficient, please be free to ask me. Regarding the siren, it might not be a problem since we're connecting it to the beacon in series.

I really hope that someone can help us since we're running out of time..Thank You very much.

12 volts x 1.5 amps is 18 watts

I think you are saying that you want to power 18 watts of stuff by converting 3 volts or 5 volts to 12 volts or 24 volts. Power in has to exceed power out. 18 watts at 3 volts is 6 amps. If you develop a converter that is 90% efficient you'll need to input at least 20 watts (nearly 7 amps).

Is your 3 or 5 volt source capable of delivering sufficient power?

Thanks stevez!

Honestly, I dont any idea if the 3V/5V can supply that power. It's because we are to get this voltage from a battery charged by solar panel. we dont have the final specs of the battery to be used but it might either a lithium battery or a lead acid battery.

I think with our circuit right now, we wont be able to increase its output current. Maybe we could incorporate a current booster circuit that will bring the output current higher. Maybe any of you can suggest any site where I can get idea to make this circuit.

Or, another option I'm thinking is to use another boost converter. But with input range of up to at least 12V and output range that will cover up to 24V, I can hardly find one. No to mention that it should supply the current that we needed.

Tkae a look at the LT1070.

What about disconnecting the power to the whole SMPs circuit with a MOSFET rather than using the shutdown function?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back