Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boost Controllers for 3.3V to 12~24V conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

esm.

Hello sirs.
I have a PCB where I have a precision 3.3V power supply with 1A capacity.
I will need another power supply with 12V or 15V or 20V or 24V capable of supplying around 80mA DC, generated from this 3V3 rail.

I will change the PCB layout when needed, and the only power source available to generate the "boost" voltage is the 3.3V rail.

Somebody recomends controller ICs for this purpose?

I have many types and values of inductors here so I just need to get some samples of some controller ICs, to test them in practice.

This power supply can be not insulated (no need of a flyback insulated design).
I can buy the Boost controllers on Digikey.

The parameters are:

3.3V -> 12V (80mA or more, if possible)
3.3V -> 15V (80mA or more, if possible)
3.3V -> 20V (70mA or more, if possible)
3.3V -> 24V (60mA or more, if possible)

Recommendations?

This power supply will be used in supersonic applications. Help?

Go to Linear Technologies website, they have a parametric search that will let you punch in your numbers and provide you with a list of parts that will fit your needs. Supersonic applications isn't really a practical consideration for electronics design outside of it requiring a different mentality for physical construction and tollerances, make sure you get Industrial grade chips.

Last edited:
Hello sirs.
I will need another power supply with 12V or 15V or 20V or 24V capable of supplying around 80mA DC, generated from this 3V3 rail.

I will change the PCB layout when needed, and the only power source available to generate the "boost" voltage is the 3.3V rail.

Somebody recomends controller ICs for this purpose?

I have many types and values of inductors here so I just need to get some samples of some controller ICs, to test them in practice.

This power supply can be not insulated (no need of a flyback insulated design).
I can buy the Boost controllers on Digikey.

The parameters are:

Recommendations?

This power supply will be used in supersonic applications. Help?
maybe LM2731 and LM2733

Hello sirs.

You list a 3.3W total source and the four loads total about 5W. That won't fly.

Last edited:
I will use just one of these power supplies. Ex: 12V * 80mA = 960mW
And also, a transducer will be switched using the 12V power supply. In a 10 seconds period, the transducer will be switched only 10ms. Its a very low duty cicle.

Last edited:
Hmm. Their switching frequency is higher than 1mhz, do you know if using a Smd ceramic capacitor in the output is suitable? Or do I need a low ESR smd ceramic capacitor?

Last edited:
There are slower parts. Some of the PWM listed above can be made to run slower. I don't like running them slow but if your layout is "hand wiring" then slow them down.

I don't understand "using a Smd ceramic capacitor in the output is suitable? Or do I need a low ESR smd ceramic capacitor? ".
I use SMD caps but through hole with very short leads should work. Your current is so low that low ESR is not that important.
Your current is so low that the inductor should be increased in inductance. This will lessen the need for low ESR caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back