Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boolean Algebra

Status
Not open for further replies.

shields

Edited, I fundamentally misunderstood the concept of what I was trying to achieve. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
shields,

You made a mistake in reducing the first K-map. There is no b2=w' . It would take 8 minterms to do that. You should use a logic reduction program like Logic Friday - Downloads .

Also change your reductions into OR logic to see if fewer gates are possible.

Ratch

Yeah that first map is terrible. Im unsure what you mean by change reductions into OR logic? how do i do this? And the program I started to use it, is it only useful for reducing expressions?

*Map should be fixed, thanks for spotting that.

Last edited:
shields,

Im unsure what you mean by change reductions into OR logic?

A Karnaugh map (K-map) is normally read as the sum of products (SOP). Any logic expression given in SOP terms can be converted into a product of sum (POS) terms. Let's take an example.

Suppose we have A'B'+AC' in SOP format. If we plot it out on a K-map we can see that the minterms are ∑(0,1,4,6). The negative of that expression are the missing minterms, which are ∑(2,3,5,7). Simplifying, we get A'B+AC which is the negative of our original expression. Applying DeMorgans theorem, we remove the negative and get (A+B')(A'+C').

So A'B'+AC' is equivalent to (A+B')(A'+C'). In the first case, all the variables are ANDed to make a term, and in the second case all the variables are ORed to make a term. You should do your reductions both ways to see which reduces to the simplest expression. Note also that all NAND gates, or all NOR gates, or a mix of the two can make any expression you choose. It might not be the least number of gates however. Another trick for an logic expression like AB+BC, which takes two AND gates and one OR gate is to factor it into B(A+C). Then it will only take one AND gate and one OR gate. All these things I pointed out to you can be found in most good logic books.

And the program I started to use it, is it only useful for reducing expressions?

Isn't that what you want? What more do you want it to do?

Ratch

Last edited:
A Boolean algebra is also called a Boolean lattice. The connection to lattices (special partially ordered sets) is suggested by the parallel between set inclusion, A ⊆ B, and ordering, a ≤ b. Consider the lattice of all subsets of {x,y,z}, ordered by set inclusion. This Boolean lattice is a partially ordered set in which, say, {x} ≤ {x,y}. Any two lattice elements, say p = {x,y} and q = {y,z}, have a least upper bound, here {x,y,z}, and a greatest lower bound, here {y}. Suggestively, the least upper bound (or join or supremum) is denoted by the same symbol as logical OR, p∨q; and the greatest lower bound (or meet or infimum) is denoted by same symbol as logical AND, p∧q.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back