Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

boolean algebra help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant9985

hi, wasnt sure if this was right place to post this but here goes:
im having trouble minimizing this logic expression and its giving me a bit of grief as its the only thing left on the assignment to do. iv look in books and on the net to try and teach myself again but i just cant seem to understand it, if anyone could give me a step by step minimization proccess for this equation i would appreciate it very much:
the ' before the letter is meant to be a NOT sign above it

Y = 'A'B'C'DE+'A'B'CD'E+'AB'C'DE+AB'C'DE+AB'CD'E

thnx

It would help if you know these laws:
1) A + 'A = 1
2) A .AND. 'A = 0
3) A .OR. A = A
4) A. AND. A = A
5) 1 .AND. A = A
6) 1. OR. A = 1
7) AB .OR. 'B = A .OR. 'B
8 A .OR. A'B = A

I hope my notations are clear.
These plus a little algebra I believe would enable you minimise the equation. :)

A quick plug into a Karnaugh map will at least combine the first and third terms into 'A'C'DE, but that's all that method will get you.

Dean

Well first things first. It seems that if you think this this is the right site to be posting such a question then you are obviously retarted. Secondly you sound like a complete ****** anyway. Stay away from this forum!!

Moderator.

jimbob jones said:
Well first things first. It seems that if you think this this is the right site to be posting such a question then you are obviously retarted. Secondly you sound like a complete [bleep] anyway. Stay away from this forum!!

Moderator.

why is he "retarted"??

boolean algebra is part of electronics!

"retarted" -- is that when you put the astringency back into a worn-out persimmon? Or does it have to do with a lady of the evening who is getting back into the profession after a short hiatus?

Yes, considering the the simplification of Boolean expressions is a major part of the software for implementing a lot of custom programmed ICs, I'd think it a major part of the profession/hobby. I had it as an integral part of my digital logic fundamentals course, and getting an expression into the "sum-of-the-products" form for playing with a Karnaugh map was commonplace. Unfortunately, although a Karnaugh map can work miracles on simplification, it does have its limitations, e.g., XOR expressions always hang them up into a checkerboard pattern that cannot be simplified.

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back