Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Book suggestion, basic electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

edeca

I'm trying to get back into electronics. I studied it for a few years but we mainly focused on microcontrollers. The test boards were made for us and we just had to program them.. or connect together a few LEDs. I am fine with assembly language and can understand some parts of component datasheets, it is the basics that let me down.

I'd like to start to develop circuits of my own. I am mainly interested in PIC based designs and have a Junebug coming to start this off.

So can anybody recommend a book that covers:

- explanation and basic theory of components from resistors and capacitors to more complex designs (fancy transistors, power circuits etc)
- example circuits to try, they don't have to be practical (e.g. 'doorbell sounder') but instead explanatory (e.g. 'function of component X')
- entertaining enough that I'll enjoy studying it
- not too in-depth.. I don't want to read 10 chapters about how to design my own semicondutors ;)

I've looked on Amazon but recommendations would be much better. Until then, it's EPE and elektor.

I like Art of Electronics (Horowitz and Hill). It gives a basic introduction to the common components but does it in a clear, concise, and sometimes humourous way. The book then goes on to discuss intermediate and more advanced topics. There are large portions of the book I don't use (or really understand--yet) but I have many, many pages dogeared or marked with sticky notes. For the most part you can skip or skim the more advanced stuff until you're ready for it. You get shown the basic circuits (inverting/non-inverting transistor amplifier, for instance) and then you get an explanation of what's wrong with it, and how to improve it. There is also information on microcontrollers, voltage regulators, logic, and more.

obDisclaimer: I am not related to or employed by anyone standing to make any money from sale of this book. :)

Another good resource:

And of course Electro-Tech.

Good luck!

Torben

i like the book introduction to MECHATRONICS and messurement systems

it's a book that coversa fair bit of the electronics and the interfaces

it runs quick through the basic prinsiples of electronics but goes deeper on the specialized things

ISBN 007-124297-x

sucsses

Robert-Jan

I would have to agree with Torben. Art of Electronics is a must. Excellent book. I only wish I got the workbook that goes with it, but at the time, I was strapped for cash.

Malvino

Electronic Principles - Malvino, Inc.
We use this book too during class, I think it's quite clear, I know it's expensive, but you get a BIG book too...
I have the newest version (7 I believe) and also an other I found in a second hand book store, have a look there, I bought a lot of books 2nd hand...

I would have to agree with Torben. Art of Electronics is a must. Excellent book. I only wish I got the workbook that goes with it, but at the time, I was strapped for cash.

I've looked on Amazon and this seems to be a good book. It is pricey though, hope it's worth it!

Thanks for the suggestion.

I like Art of Electronics (Horowitz and Hill). It gives a basic introduction to the common components but does it in a clear, concise, and sometimes humourous way.

I have to agree with Torben, I have just received this book from Ebay and it is really good - they make it easy to understand concepts such as Thevenin's theorem et al.

There are some good "rule of thumb" solutions in the book as well, you get the impression that doing it all with a calculator is ok, but the authors promote getting a "feel" for the right answers.

Mark

Last edited:
If you're serious about getting back into electronics and not just being a tinkerer...

get, Microelectronic Circuits: includes CD-ROM (The Oxford Series in Electrical and Computer Engineering) by Adel S. Sedra and Kenneth C. Smith 4th or 5th edition

It explains the basics between, op-amps, bjts, mosfets, diodes, transistor amps, current sources/mirrors, pi equivalent circuits, t equivalent and so on. it also comes with a spice* lite edition software so you can build and test simple circuits.

its the standard text book here at Purdue in the EE dept. it treats everything like you have basic electric circuits knowledge. any other text book doesn't do electronics any service.

it'll take some time to learn it though. its not some handyman, cookbook. the author for instance, goes deep into device physics for a undergrad text, such as charge carriers, npn, pnp characteritics and whatnot. but it'll be great for the EE student or serious electronics hobbyist.

Last edited:
in distress!!

i am a newbie but i have been studying The Art of Electronics no doubt it is a formidable book. i have completed the bjt chapter but have skepped some the topics that i thought werent important like the advanced current mirrors. my problem is that i cant rcognise the transistor circuits that i find on the net for example cosider this ckt i found on this forum. what should be my apporach.and am i supposed to learn the standard circuits from the book so i can recognize them when i see it??any replies???

Attachments

• Sunup Alarm.PNG
    Sunup Alarm.PNG
    11.3 KB · Views: 199
That's the kind of transistor circuit only a book like Microelectronic Circuits (Sedra & Smith) can help with. It takes op-amps, diodes, and transistors and breaks down their behavior to the algebraic level. The only problem is the authors were extremely long-winded. They're the type to write a 3-page explanation when only 1 or 2 were necessary. But on the other hand, it trains you in so many different transistor configurations, it just pays off in the end.

I've looked on Amazon and this seems to be a good book. It is pricey though, hope it's worth it!

Thanks for the suggestion.
Buy used or else its a ripoff. Engineering books are heinously-priced, especially if they're hardbound or come with software. Art of Electronics is a great book. Maybe even the best. But $80? That kind of cash should be getting you 2 or 3 electronics books.

Schaum's Outline books are also good. They're very example-oriented, very diagram-oriented, and they get straight to the point. But they're designed as a practice tool for what you already know, so buy Art of Electronics first and Shaums with the leftover cash.

Last edited:
i am a newbie but i have been studying The Art of Electronics no doubt it is a formidable book. i have completed the bjt chapter but have skepped some the topics that i thought werent important like the advanced current mirrors. my problem is that i cant rcognise the transistor circuits that i find on the net for example cosider this ckt i found on this forum. what should be my apporach.and am i supposed to learn the standard circuits from the book so i can recognize them when i see it??any replies???

Page 94-95, The Art of Electronics.

thanks, sorry i cudnt recognize the darlington. that is exactly the problem!!!and i have been learning spice also from the tutorial availible from LTs website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back