Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

body temp measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam288

Hey..can anybody suggest how can i design a body temperature measurement system using 8051...
As far as i know, LM 35 can be used for room temp measurement only.....can i make use of LM35 ??
How about RTDs?

As far as i know, LM 35 can be used for room temp measurement only.....can i make use of LM35 ??

Try an operating range of -40°C to +150°C. Google for the datasheet. Though the easiest to implement, the response time for the T0-92 package may slower than you need. Thermistors and thermocouples are faster.

How about RTDs?

Thermistors (RTD) require more calibration to implement than the LM35.
Thermocouples have the fastest response, but require more hardware to interface.

All depends on your application, but if it is just to get a body temp onto the processor, the LM35 will work.

Ken

Have a read of this thread. It's not ideal but may fill your requirements. I also posted a project that demonstrates how to simply interface a temperature sensor to a PC.

Mike.

I just want to get body temp. on 8051...
But then should the patient hold the LM35 IC in his hand for temp measurement...?? And for how long...??

The hand isn't a very accurate sample of a body temperature; many sensors measure under the subject's tongue.

The problem there is that the sensor must be sanitary. Most use a removable (disposable) cover. Measurement time depends on the mass of the sensor. You generally accept the measurement when it stabilizes.

Sam,

If the project is just to get any body temperature reading into the 8051...one time...not a clinical setting...then it will work.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back