Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

body of Electrolytic Capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aljamri

Hi,

In a audio amplifier circuit, I felt that sound is combined with noise, so started doing some tests by connecting a wire from -ve of the battery into the body of Electrolytic Capacitors. there were no changed except one of them when I put the wire, the hiss decreased a lot.

I asked some where else about hiss problem and I've been answered generously. Here, I would like to ask: Is the body of the capacitor connected to -ve terminal? Electrolytic

Thanks for all

aljamri said:
Hi,

In a audio amplifier circuit, I felt that sound is combined with noise, so started doing some tests by connecting a wire from -ve of the battery into the body of Electrolytic Capacitors. there were no changed except one of them when I put the wire, the hiss decreased a lot.

I asked some where else about hiss problem and I've been answered generously. Here, I would like to ask: Is the body of the capacitor connected to -ve terminal? Electrolytic

Thanks for all
I have checked a dozen pieces with DMM.
many imported (I am from India), and few local.
i found most are isolated
and one local make UPTRON- I think it is collaboration with some foreign manufacturer- has body connected to -ve lead.

so perhaps if you replace the piece the Noise would disappear. All the best

I think the body of that capacitor is connected to its negative wire and it is a signal coupling capacitor. So you shorted the signal to ground with the wire.

An audio amplifier should not have hiss. Maybe it is poor quality (battery powered?) or has a defective transistor. Maybe it has a noisy old 741 opamp.

That's true, the capacitor can is normally connected to the negative pin, if you look at an axle leaded capacitor, you'll notice that the negative lead is just welded to the body.

I've always wondered about the non-polarised electrolytic capacitors, I know they're just wo polaraised capacitors connected back to back but I've always wondered what the case is connected to; is it the connection between the two capacitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back