Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bodine 1/17 HP 130 Volt DC to AC Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullmastiff135

Hello everyone........I am trying to change my Bodine 24A4BEPMZ2 DC motor over to AC with a speed controller. I found a router controller from Harbor Freight
https://www.harborfreight.com/router-...rol-43060.html
will that work if I put a grounded plug to the motor. Or do I need a rectifier, capacitor before the plug. This good motor was given to me and I am trying to use it for my smoker as a rotisserie , but I also want it to work correctly!!!! Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Motor specs
Bodine 1/17 HP 130 Volt DC Parallel Shaft Gearmotor 24A4BEPMZ2

Make: Bodine Electric Company
Style: Parallel Shaft 130 Volt DC Gearmotor
Model Number: 0159
Product Type: 24A4BEPM-Z2
Category: 24A-Z Parallel Shaft DC Gearmotor
RPM : Speed : 139 Rpm
Rated Torque: ( LB-Inch ) 39
Rated Voltage: 130 Volts DC
Amps: 0.48
Motor HP: 1/17
Gear Ratio: 18:1

The HF link is busted.

Chances are that the HF speed controller uses a Triac, which means it puts out phase-controlled AC (Not DC). You will have have to use a four-rectifier Bridge rated at (at least) 400piV at 3A between the controller and motor. It might help to put a big electrolytic capacitor (100+uF at 200V) across the motor, too.

Why in the world do you want to change it to AC???

I would get a KB drives or other DC speed controller for it. The last KB drive I got a few weeks ago cost $50 new off eBay. You will be much happier with a DC speed control The triac-based speed control delivers very little torque at low rpm. With DC, you will have almost full torque.

John

Last edited:
Thanks for the info

I guess what I am really wanting to do is........ 1st go cheap and where I can wire the 3 wires from the motor into something and have full speed and torque with an off and on switch. Also it would plug into the wall 110 v. I just want the motor to run at its full potential and run cool. I am sorry for the little bit of knowledge that I have on this!!!!!!!!!! Anything under 50.00 and some help of wiring diagram is greatly appreciated. Motor was free so if I need to buy something I am no really out much. Thanks Guys

Last edited:
I guess what I am really wanting to do is........ 1st go cheap and where I can wire the 3 wires from the motor into something and have full speed and torque with an off and on switch. Also it would plug into the wall 110 v. I just want the motor to run at its full potential and run cool. I am sorry for the little bit of knowledge that I have on this!!!!!!!!!! Anything under 50.00 and some help of wiring diagram is greatly appreciated. Motor was free so if I need to buy something I am no really out much. Thanks Guys
Not going to happen off the shelf.
You can try ebay for a controller.

I just searched for DC motor controller on eBay. More than 700 hits. Here is one for about $21:

**broken link removed**

And another that is close:
**broken link removed**

And here are two KB drives for about $35 for both:

**broken link removed**

I am not recommending any of them, but just illustrating that solutions under $50 are available. You can do the search as easily as I can. The Bodine unit for your motor was $89 on ebay. I have used KB units for many years and they work well. That is why I buy one, if I see it at a good price. Sometimes you will see the KB controller combined with another device. The one I just got had a web printing controller (**broken link removed**) piggy backed on it. I thought I might try to sell the controller or harvest its parts.

John

Edit: Here's a link to KB drives: https://www.kbelectronics.com/kb_manuals.htm Scan down to DC drives and check out the KBIC types. There is some helpful information there.

Last edited:
You can try and run line voltage 120 votls AC thru a bridge rectifier to run your motor. It seems some people have had success with this setup. Make sure you fuse the AC line.
It will power your motor at about 105 volts DC but will not have any speed control.

You can try and run line voltage 120 votls AC thru a bridge rectifier to run your motor. It seems some people have had success with this setup. Make sure you fuse the AC line.
It will power your motor at about 105 volts DC but will not have any speed control.

Always thought you multiplied AC voltage times 1.4 when you used a bridge rectifier? Was I taught wrong?

Always thought you multiplied AC voltage times 1.4 when you used a bridge rectifier? Was I taught wrong?

You where taught right.

Thats a number someone eles gave that ran a DC motor of AC. It may be wrong.

Go to about mid-page here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_wave_rectifier

It depends on whether you want to define the peak DC voltage or "average" DC voltage. One might consider the motor inductance to provide some averaging. The subject comes up frequently in discussing PWM of large motors. The 4QD site used to have a nice discussion of that and its relation to frequency.

John

Only true if you filter the full-wave rectified output with a huge capacitor. Look at these two cases:

In the first, no filtering, only pulsating DC applied to the load R1. The voltage source is 120Vrms at 60Hz. Look at the average (107.6V) and rmsvoltage (119.6V) across the load, and look at the current in the voltage source. Note the waveform of the source current.

In the second, the load is filtered by a large capacitor in parallel with the load. Look at the average (162.4V) and rms voltage (162.4V) across the load. Note what happened to the source current (now has a peak value of 20A).

If the OP runs his motor off a full-wave bridge with no capacitor, then it will run slower than if he adds a large electrolytic filter capacitor across the motor.

Attachments

• D2204a.jpg
    D2204a.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 144
  • D2204b.jpg
    D2204b.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Forgot about the filter cap difference:( Always just figure on filter caps, so just remember the AC x 1.4. But a DC motor really doesn't need filtering.

Wow

I am sorry been out of town, So can I just use a light dimmer switch, rectifier and capacitor to do all of this?????? If so what size of capacitor and rectifier will I need to fire this up and run a peak power and speed if need be. And will I need to add a inline fuse some where. I will put all this in a box so no fear of touching anything and getting shocked. Thanks Guys

So can I just use a light dimmer switch
Maybe for a light load. At full load it may overheat.
The dimmer may not work at all feeding a fullwave bridge rectifier.
Dont use half wave rectificashoin (singel diode).
You don't need a cap.
Just try a 600 volt, 4 amp bridge rectifier and see what speed you get from it.

The problem with the dimmer is that it controls the voltage to the motor though phase control/clipping. You will lose significant power at slower speeds. PWM methods (mentioned above) provide full power for various lengths of time to control speed. They provide good torque over a much wider range.

You haven't said much about what range of speeds you need. If it is just 60% to 100%, them a dimmer may work. If you want 20% (or 10%) to 100%, then reconsider the PWM controllers.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back