Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bluetooth Schematics/Basics

Status
Not open for further replies.

programmingguru

Hello,
I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me. After searching for a while led me to this site numerous times I decided that I might get what I'm looking for through a direct question. What I'm trying to figure out is how bluetooth devices are actually produced. Like what is needed to make a bluetooth device... after searching for a while I found a few schematics and numerous things on bluetooth features, but unfortunately I have had little luck on figuring out how bluetooh actually works and such. I'm also unfortunately not good with electrical engineering or anything as I haven't gotten into it yet, so I don't understand all the schematics I have looked at. So if anyone can shed light on this for me I would appreciate it. I need to know how someone can make a bluetooth device pretty much, what kind of transistors or chips go to making a bluetooth device.

I found this schematic but I'm not sure if this is exactly what I'm looking for.
**broken link removed**
Any insight on the subject would be appreciated. As I stated, all I can find really are the pros or features of bluetooth and not actually what goes into a bluetooth device to make it able to use bluetooth. If you need any clarification let me know.

I appreciate any help anyone can offer me.
Thank you,
Kyle

Hello,

Bluetooth is basically the hardware and software. The hardware establishes the serial link and many protocols are written above that. You can work on bluetooth in the software level only, either embedded or PC. If you are looking at embedded systems, the module from A7 engineering is a god one to begin with.

Many software stacks are available... the most popular ones are from microsoft and IVT.

So all Bluetooth really is, is an adapter that creates a wireless signal? Obviously there are limits on range and transfer speed, but is that the basics, you create an adapter on both ends and use the bluetooth chip to create a bluetooth connection?

Also, thin_master said that it was only available to be worked on in the software level... would anyone happen to have a breakdown of how the hardware is created? What is on the chip and such? I'm not trying to recreate it, I just want to know how they are manufactured and such if possible.

Thanks,
Kyle

Bluetooth is a form of Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum which operates at 2.4Ghz, which is around the same frequency that Wi-Fi and microwave ovens operate at. The signal is broken into 1600 parts every second and transmitted at a different frequency for each 1/1600th of a second. Which frequency is used is determined by what is called the Pseudo Noise mask. The mask used and the starting point within it is agreed upon by the transmitter and receiver over a sync channel. Multiple spread spectrum transmissions can be stacked on top of each other within the same spread spectrum band. Any transmission that does not exactly match the pseudonoise mask that has already been set up is going to appear to be random noise. The data to be transmitted is XOR'd with the PN mask before being transmitted, and then XOR'd again at the receiver with the PN mask to reconstruct the data. In this case the "data" would actually be the transmission frequency to look for the signal at. This requires PLL (Phase Locked Loop) oscillators in the transmitter and local oscillator in the receiver's mixer.

Stick with the chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back