Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

bluetooth ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super_voip

Probably not the right place, but I'm looking to have a bluetooth module connected via ethernet. The bluetooth would be for WAP not just printer access. There were a few ethernet to bluetooth (printer) made in the past but no longer seem available. So, has anyone tried a standard ethernet to USB adaptor to connect anything other than a printer? I don't like to have to re-invent wheels.

whats all this now?

1st guess

you made this post so google would pick up bluetooth wireless and link it to your scam website to mi zone dot com

2nd guess

you have a bluetooth printer and you want to network it?

3rd guess

you want to create a wireless network using a bluetooth PAN instead of an ethernet WLAN? a bluetooth PAN isn't ideal for wireless networking. speed is very slow, and range is very limited. it's OK for tethering your cell phone to your laptop for getting online, and that's about it. it's better at point to point than point to multipoint

I'm thinking of connecting a bluetooth unit to a cantenna, swapping between different units with a PIN diode switch. I have ethernet and power on the mast and really don't want to have multiple USB extenders.

how about something like this:

USB to Cat 5e Extender

**broken link removed**

or if you've got deeper pockets:

USB over IP hub

**broken link removed**

you're not going to find anything like Bluetooth over IP, it would be like searching for WiFi over IP

I'll probably go with something like the extender as I do have a few boxes of Cat5 or buy a serial (not USB) bluetooth module. The IP hub would be nice, I could hook up multiple unit eg wi-spy and bluetooth. I wonder just how difficult it would be to make a PIC with USB, networkable, 5 minutes:)

pic microcontrollers do not support USB Host functions, so it wouldn't help much. you can buy add-on chips / modules to give them that functionality, but I think the pic lacks a bit in the cpu department to act as a protocol bridge. EDN has an extensive write-up on their site detailing their development of a USB to IP bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back