Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bluetooth car remote controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmvallavan86

i would like to design and make a bluetooth device that can unlock cars.
the idea is done by the same method a bluetooth device works.
when a person comes near his/her car, the device will contact the host (in this case the car and makes connection and authentication) it will unlock itself and you dont even have to use the car keys or the typical remote control.

i am planning to use java programming to program it to the remote (as a starter i would like to use a cell phone as my remote). because our phone can run java, the program that i will create must be able to unlock my car.

then a electronic circuit will be built to be fitted in the car and a bluetooth receiver with it. when the signal comes in from my mobile, the car must be able to unlock itself by first verifying the signal is true and then we are able to use our car.

the problem is, i dont know how to use java programming.
so i was wondering if this project can be done by my method?
if it can be done then i will start my studies into java programming.

plz help me asap....
my final year project proposal is next week...
thanks in advance

No way man

There are a lot of electronics professionals on this forum, but as an Industrial Design student I'm sorry to tell you that idea is born dead, unless if redefined.

1. If the person approaches to his/her car, is not always to enter into it.

2. If just "approaching to the car" unlocks it, In the mind of the consumer the feeling of "lack of control" could scary him. I don´t know how secure the bluethoot standard is, or if the actual RC controls are crackeable. But at least you can toogle a button with your finger, with no finger there is no order, thats all the normal consumer cares of.

3. Is not the bluethoot system too electricity hungry? I keep the bluethoot of my cellhpone disabled to save energy

4. If your cellphone runs out of battery, you lose the car access too.

Last edited:
Some cell phones can record the tone from a wireless car remote. I have a nokia 6126 phone. So far I can only use it inside the car to lock the doors. It won't record the tone for unlocking the doors. However they say nextel phones are the best for this. Because their recording sound spectrum is much wider. Nextel output is a little better than most. bluetooth is only on the most expensive cars. I don't think it may be good to post any hacker information now. This is my first response to my first question. Cell phones can record some tones above human hearing to some extent(car remote keyless entry), Sniffing bluetooth(detecting bluetooth), and some other things I can't repeat right now. Unfortunately they could be used or exploited just as any electronic device or design. You can Google using the key words "cell phone car lock hacks". Educate yourself, all the info on the net is yours for the asking. Good luck!

Car alarms do this not blue-tooth but it still is done via RF, On-star does this as well, but heck, why not as a project:)

I agree Blue-tooth is not the ideal platform as it is very expensive considering regular RF, IR etc.

I believe you want to do this as a project, not a commercial idea, is this the case bmvallavan86?

i would like to design and make a bluetooth device that can unlock cars.
the idea is done by the same method a bluetooth device works.
when a person comes near his/her car, the device will contact the host (in this case the car and makes connection and authentication) it will unlock itself and you dont even have to use the car keys or the typical remote control.

**SNIP**

Last edited:
Well there is always inherited security risks, but with proper implementation this wouldn't be an issue. I believe blue-tooth is the wrong platform for many reasons. But I think this is for a school project, so really why not. Part of the project could be the security issues around this type of technology, including blue-tooth's security issues. I would give you an A..lol

-BaC

Some cell phones can record the tone from a wireless car remote. I have a nokia 6126 phone. So far I can only use it inside the car to lock the doors. It won't record the tone for unlocking the doors. However they say nextel phones are the best for this. Because their recording sound spectrum is much wider. Nextel output is a little better than most. bluetooth is only on the most expensive cars. I don't think it may be good to post any hacker information now. This is my first response to my first question. **SNIP**

Last edited:
LMAO

I believe he stated "above human hearing".

How many times have you heard a RF signal in the air?...

-BaC

A car's remote works with high frecuency sound??? amazing! I through it was using radio signals. But as I said on the 2nd post, the idea is "no way"

Last edited:
LMAO

I believe he stated "above human hearing".

How many times have you heard a RF signal in the air?...

-BaC

I have to tell you something... I'M SUPERMAN DUDE!! Hahahaha

Offcourse not!! I remember the THC special about remote controllers, the ultra-sound ones made your dog ran on panic, or could be activated by the drop of a key on the desk. It's ridiculous to use that on a car. So, about the phone recording capabilities, BUSTED

By the way, I read something about connecting a IR cell to the MIC input of the PC. It could be used to record and graph the signal of an IR remote control. If the file is then played on an iPod or another source, having the speaker replaced by a IR diode, the device could be actived (too much work to turn on the tv, I think)

What about the beautiful device used by the Mithbusters, to scan the air for signals and graph them? Have you seen that??? Beautiful!!! and freakin' expensive I think

Last edited:
Can't say I watched that one, but it must be a Frequency / Spectrum Analyzer.

**broken link removed**

lol

I have to tell you something... I'M SUPERMAN DUDE!! **SNIP**

Last edited:
There are a lot of electronics professionals on this forum, but as an Industrial Design student I'm sorry to tell you that idea is born dead, unless if redefined.

1. If the person approaches to his/her car, is not always to enter into it.

2. If just "approaching to the car" unlocks it, In the mind of the consumer the feeling of "lack of control" could scary him. I don´t know how secure the bluethoot standard is, or if the actual RC controls are crackeable. But at least you can toogle a button with your finger, with no finger there is no order, thats all the normal consumer cares of.

3. Is not the bluethoot system too electricity hungry? I keep the bluethoot of my cellhpone disabled to save energy

4. If your cellphone runs out of battery, you lose the car access too.

ooo yes what u are telling is true....
maybe there is a way to control the bluetooth device
as i have said, i would like to control it using a cell phone
and so if i turn off the bluetooth signal then the car cant be unlocked if i approach the car

and if i turn on the bluetooth device only the device works???
what do u think?

Some cell phones can record the tone from a wireless car remote. I have a nokia 6126 phone. So far I can only use it inside the car to lock the doors. It won't record the tone for unlocking the doors. However they say nextel phones are the best for this. Because their recording sound spectrum is much wider. Nextel output is a little better than most. bluetooth is only on the most expensive cars. I don't think it may be good to post any hacker information now. This is my first response to my first question. Cell phones can record some tones above human hearing to some extent(car remote keyless entry), Sniffing bluetooth(detecting bluetooth), and some other things I can't repeat right now. Unfortunately they could be used or exploited just as any electronic device or design. You can Google using the key words "cell phone car lock hacks". Educate yourself, all the info on the net is yours for the asking. Good luck!

thx 4 ur post...
but i think i will encrypt my signal...
when i was searching through the net i saw a counter i think that generates random codes.... so by using it.... the bluetooth device can make sure that it is u that are unlocking the car

Car alarms do this not blue-tooth but it still is done via RF, On-star does this as well, but heck, why not as a project:)

I agree Blue-tooth is not the ideal platform as it is very expensive considering regular RF, IR etc.

I believe you want to do this as a project, not a commercial idea, is this the case bmvallavan86?

yes man i am not doing this as a commercial thing
just doing this as my final year project for my diploma
well do u think that my idea will work? as i am new to this..... and i dont have a broad understanding of what i am doing

Well there is always inherited security risks, but with proper implementation this wouldn't be an issue. I believe blue-tooth is the wrong platform for many reasons. But I think this is for a school project, so really why not. Part of the project could be the security issues around this type of technology, including blue-tooth's security issues. I would give you an A..lol

-BaC

wow thx for giving me an A
if u dont mind..... can u help me design the circuit?
i need a circuit to control the locking and the unlocking of the car when i transmit the signal from my cell phone

well because i am just in my diploma level....... i have not learned this much about circuit designing.... i will be learning it in my degree level

plz help
or u can tutor me

Well in this day, if you can think it you can sure make it (almost). As I stated why blue-tooth, it is pretty expensive even to proto-type, along with other issues.

Why not use the IR ports that are on every phone. One can modify a handle to include an IR receiver. It could also have a learn function, and if you have a java program on the ARM plaform, you could very well have a front-end to it. So I would use the IR ports, why not they are cheap reliable at close range.

A counter code in the program itself which would be changeable, could be the seed for the encryption. When you program the device it would read the IR signal and store it in Flash, this would now be the code to get in. Along with this the old keypad type could co-exist, or not, all depends.

Just some random thoughts is all.

-BaC

yes man i am not doing this as a commercial thing
just doing this as my final year project for my diploma
well do u think that my idea will work? as i am new to this..... and i dont have a broad understanding of what i am doing

Well in this day, if you can think it you can sure make it (almost). As I stated why blue-tooth, it is pretty expensive even to proto-type, along with other issues.

Why not use the IR ports that are on every phone. One can modify a handle to include an IR receiver. It could also have a learn function, and if you have a java program on the ARM plaform, you could very well have a front-end to it. So I would use the IR ports, why not they are cheap reliable at close range.

A counter code in the program itself which would be changeable, could be the seed for the encryption. When you program the device it would read the IR signal and store it in Flash, this would now be the code to get in. Along with this the old keypad type could co-exist, or not, all depends.

Just some random thoughts is all.

-BaC

hmmm thx 4 the fast reply....
i was thinking of doing this project in a basic way....
i would just buy a bluetooth receiver..... and build a circuit to read the signal and then unlock the car...

what u think??????
the bluetooth receiver is cheap
as i am in diploma level... my lecturers will not ask me to get into bluetooth technology i hope
hehehe

Well let me ask this, what are you studying? Java Programing or something?

the bluetooth receiver is cheap <--where are you shopping?? lol

-BaC

hmmm thx 4 the fast reply....
i was thinking of doing this project in a basic way....
i would just buy a bluetooth receiver..... and build a circuit to read the signal and then unlock the car...

what u think??????
the bluetooth receiver is cheap
as i am in diploma level... my lecturers will not ask me to get into bluetooth technology i hope
hehehe

Last edited:
Well let me ask this, what are you studying? Java Programing or something?

the bluetooth receiver is cheap <--where are you shopping?? lol

-BaC

well i am studying diploma in electronics engineering
hmmm i am staying in malaysia.... and the bluetooth receiver is around rm20-rm40

anywayz this the the bluetooth that we connect via USB and is used for transferring files to the cell phone.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back