Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Blue ray disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lord loh.

I read that the recent development of the blue ray disks that can hold more data than the DVD uses a blue coloured laser that is generated from Galium Nitride.

I was just wondering whether the disperssion of blue laser makes it imprecise???

Doesn't storing more information on less surface require a higher degree of accuracy?

So how is blue laser better than the red laser?

Blue light has a shorter wavelength than red light and can be focused more precisely. Blue has only recently been used due to the difficulty in producing blue LEDs/lasers. When Ultra Violet LEDs/Lasers become cost effective then we will have a new format and have to throw all our old format discs away - again.

Mike.

yeah, again! nothing like backward compatability, with dvd-r drives having four sets of laser and optics now, can you imagine trying to fit eight or ten in?

How much power does the blue ray laser put out?

I'm waiting to see how long it takes to get them out onto the surplus market with focused optics. Blue laser pointer- kick ass! Blue doesn't have great eye sensitivity, though.

That would complete the red/green/blue palette, making full color laser light shows, hack jobs of 3D displays, etc possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back