Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

blown lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpj111

In my house I installed lamp fittings 240V, hallogen.
I replaced several bulbs last two months. Is there any problem with new fittings or house wiring to cause bolwn bulbs. I am fed up replacing bulbs.
Any idea. many thanks.
One of my mate also complainig that some bulbs are blowing his house too. He had his TV and some electrical applience got repaired due to powersupply fault. But this is completely two different areas.

Can House electrical wiring system cause this. Or the way of connection.

Thank you

Have you checked the voltage to see if it is higher then 240v?

What type of halogen bulbs are you refering to? Are they the tube style that clip into a holder? Are they subjected to any vibration?

Make sure that the bulbs connection is good and tight so that there is no arcing.

Make sure you do not touch the bulbs when you install them. The natural oils from your skin can cause the glass to crack when the bulb is hot.
As for just a filament failure, the most likely suspect is loose sockets, then over voltage and then a defective batch of bulbs.

mpj111 said:
In my house I installed lamp fittings 240V, hallogen.
I replaced several bulbs last two months. Is there any problem with new fittings or house wiring to cause bolwn bulbs. I am fed up replacing bulbs.
Any idea. many thanks.
One of my mate also complainig that some bulbs are blowing his house too. He had his TV and some electrical applience got repaired due to powersupply fault. But this is completely two different areas.

Can House electrical wiring system cause this. Or the way of connection.

Thank you
As earlier mate said the lousie junction can cause an arc. It will reduce the life time of the bulbs or burning the bulbs. also a higher voltage can effect the bulbs to burn. Some cheapy halogens much sensitive for voltages & burning quickly.

If a bulb burned it will not much effect to the other home appliances as you said like TV’s radio’s. I think there is a voltage exceeding than the normal value in your area. Call your authority & check the voltages in your area first. If there is a voltage problem useless trying for even branded bulbs.

As mentioned by others, check incoming voltage and general condition. Also check to be sure the fixture isn't overheating. Mfr's instructions will likely describe conditions that have to be met. As an example - some light fixtures are vented which allows heat to escape - if vents are plugged the fixture gets hotter (and so does the lamp) than intended - this will shorten life.

Are you dimming the halogen lamps? If you are, that could be your problem. Halogen lamps are not designed to be dimmed, and actually need to be run at full output in order for the internal chemistry to work correctly, and thus enhance the filament life. And if you are switching on the lamps on while dimmed, you are actually accelerating the problem!!!

Our house mains supply is 230v, and doesn't vary by more than a volt or two in either direction.
I suspect 99% of the UK is also fairly constant with the supply voltage.

Shax said:
Our house mains supply is 230v, and doesn't vary by more than a volt or two in either direction.
I suspect 99% of the UK is also fairly constant with the supply voltage.

Yes, the mains is usually excellent in the UK - however the poster is from New Zealand, which I would expect to be pretty decent as well?.

It's supposed to be within 220V to 250V, it was 238V the last time I measured.

Mains voltage

The mains voltage (230 Volts) in New Zealand is well regulated too, and may fluctuate only a couple of volts either way.

In winter when load controls are applied (Hotwater) perhaps for a short period the voltage may be up or down 5 or 6 volts at the time to give the tapchanger in the substations to catch up.

As already said by our other members,these lamps fail because of

High voltage
Heat trapped in fitting (insulation batts put over fittings)
Fingermarks on bulb
Vibration
Arcing contacts (especially in cheap fittings)
Lower voltage, (10 to 20% under), if lower the filament doesn't dissipate as much heat and the heat stess isn't as bad. Similar like the old valve tubes.

Nigel, how did you work out he is from NZ ? The fields are not filled in, or did you see his email address.

Come to think of it those halogen lamps are crap, they're always burning out and they tend to take the circuit breakers with them.

Thanks for all of you. I am getting 237V.
The hallogen bulbs I have mentioned is not a long ( with two side contacts) one. This is similar to MR16(12V type). It had good vent as well.

The other one I mentioned is not the hallagon , it is ordinary bulbs using as down light installed in ceiling. It can be a vent problam in this case because it installed to down stair. I belive there are no much room between ceiling and upstair floor to give proper vent. What could be the reason to distroy other electrical applience ( TV power supply fault and hair drier etc)
got 237 V when measures. But have no idea about power surge around the area.

I have heared about "Power line harmonic". what is that.

Is the IP address of all users here available to all other users? If not that's blatantly invasive of Nigel, regardless of his standing in the forums even if he own's them outright. Rude doesn't even begin to cover what I'd call it.

Sceadwian said:
Is the IP address of all users here available to all other users? If not that's blatantly invasive of Nigel, regardless of his standing in the forums even if he own's them outright. Rude doesn't even begin to cover what I'd call it.

But not as rude as not entering your location! (perhaps you might take note Sceadwian!!!) - many questions are directly related to location, including this one!.

As such I mentioned his country, to avoid the usual long pointless thread where everyone just makes guesses!.

237 Volts

mpj111

Your 237 Volts is normal voltage for NZ.

Generally the mains voltages vary between 233 and 238 Volts.

Check the actual voltage rating of the lamp.
Some may be rated 230-240 Volts, which should be ok.
It's better to get 240-250 Volts lamps which will last longer.

it's probably a bad batch of cheap chinese made lamps.

Personally i don't like recessed can light anyway because of previously mentioned problems.

Power line harmonics shouldn't do any harm because a lamp is a resistive load.

They may affect switch mode power supplies.

If you have problems get a data logger installed by the local POCO or retailer.

You are in Auckland area ?

I prefer the low voltage (12v) halogen bulbs because you can use an electronic dimmer switch with "soft start" - which greatly helps to extend the bulb life if used in a room where lights are often switched on/off.

I don't care if Nigel knows where i live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back