Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Blocked Outlook Email Attachments!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceOfHearts

Hi everyone,

Feeling frustrated about this important email with a known attachment from someone in my Outlook inbox. Outlook just would not let me download the attachment! It says:

"Access to the following potentially unsafe attachments has been blocked: filename"

I have done google searches and tried everything from going into regedit to downloading additional software that's meant to unblock the file type I need, but alas, no success.

Personally, I find this very silly of Microsoft to block file types for security reasons and not allow the user to enable them...because the user may know the sender!

Can anyone please help me? The file type attached is XML, but the sender also sent me a TXT version - both are blocked by Outlook. I believe im using Outlook 2003.

Many thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Here's an **broken link removed** from the knowledge base.

The simplest way to circumvent this is to zip it. Might save bandwidth too.

mneary said:
Here's an **broken link removed** from the knowledge base.

The simplest way to circumvent this is to zip it. Might save bandwidth too.

Hi there,

Thanks very much. Outlook Product Manager says txt files are allowed...but I can't download that either.

The sender sent me a txt file after I told him the problem...I just can't ask him again...be a bit like pesturing if you know what I mean!

Honestly...I even tried to forward the email to my AOL account but the attachment doesn't forward :S

Trash Outlook - Use Thunderbird. Simple as that.

Are you on a corporate (employer) exchange server? Your IT department can disable anything they want.

When you say text file do you mean .TXT?

get them to rename it to filename.aceofhearts

mneary raises a good point, all the knowledgebase articles will work if your are NOT accessing mail via exchange server.

Trash Outlook - Use Thunderbird. Simple as that.

Although that would work and is a good idea (I use Thunderbird myself), it still lacks many features present in MS Outlook.:(

I actually partly agree with Microsoft here, although this is probably a bit extreem. Perhaps they should block all executables by default but the settings can be changed so you are presented with a warning rather than an outright ban.

Although that would work and is a good idea (I use Thunderbird myself), it still lacks many features present in MS Outlook.:(

I actually partly agree with Microsoft here, although this is probably a bit extreem. Perhaps they should block all executables by default but the settings can be changed so you are presented with a warning rather than an outright ban.

Yes I agree on this, bit extreme I think. But they obviously feel the scale of the threat (viruses being spread through certain file types) justifies the disabling of these file types.

I got the file at the end though, it was zipped over.

Thanks to all for the help. :)

Regards.

Last edited:
I understand. How about this. Get two email addresses use one with Outlook for all its cool features. Use the second one when Outlook throws up a roadblock. Above all don't ever publish or release the second address except to folks you actually want to hear from. I've had a second address since last summer and the dropoff in spam is incredible!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back