Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Blinking red eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinker Unique

>Halloween project< I have a simple 555IC schematic that shows "flashing LED's". Nice & dandy. I want to light 2 LED's (evil night eyes) and have them "blink" realisticly. OR could be one LED with fiber optics (2 eyes). I have batteries from AAA to 12v (solar panels).
Thanks for assist > new to the neighborhood/ kids beware . . .

You might want to check out this project. It's an LED "throbber" that fades the LED in and out, much more dramatic than just flashing it on and off. Might make your eeeevil red eyes more scary. (I assume this is for Oct. 31?)

You could put your 2 LEDs in series.

The simplest but least impressive way is to buy a blinker LED and a regular one of the same size and color and connect them in series.

I assume by "blink realistically", you mean have them on, then turn off for a very short period of time, turn back on and stay on for a little while, then repeat? That requires PWM, which is fairly easy to do. You can use this schematic:

**broken link removed**

You can adjust the 100K pot and experiment with resistor values until you get the desired effect.
This is probably the easiest way to do it.
Good luck!
Der Strom

DerStrom 8 - Much appreciated. Yes, for Halloween AND another project upcoming = (near a water garden > peering thru an "opening" in the rocks / seen after sunset ) I have a candelabra bulb inside the mine shaft and cabin - Backdrop of gnomes working a gold mine - candle light inside the shaft and fire light from the fireplace in the cabin - waterwheel turning a sluice box - LED's 'hidden' under quartz crystals for "gnome yard lights", butterflies the size of dinner plates, etc...... I have 12v solar avail.

I have built around 50 or so "Bush Goblins" for my bushes. They are really simple 555 circuits. You need a bypass capacitor in each circuit, a large one, to prevent them from syncing up.

In my concept I deliberately used a grab bag of resistors and capacitors, to keep it random as possible.

Here is a link to a similar discussion (with a schematic I recommend)...

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=58595

Several years ago I made a blinking red eyes on a skull, that was even too horrible for me :eek: and followed with evil dreams. I've thrown it away later. Beware dude!

DerStrom 8 - Much appreciated. Yes, for Halloween AND another project upcoming = (near a water garden > peering thru an "opening" in the rocks / seen after sunset ) I have a candelabra bulb inside the mine shaft and cabin - Backdrop of gnomes working a gold mine - candle light inside the shaft and fire light from the fireplace in the cabin - waterwheel turning a sluice box - LED's 'hidden' under quartz crystals for "gnome yard lights", butterflies the size of dinner plates, etc...... I have 12v solar avail.

Really going all out this year, huh? :D:D:D

Sounds great... I'd like to make them ( 1 set ) to blink close to what a cat, dog, or person would do. Can 'Xperamint', but assistance would be greatly accepted annd appreciated. THESE will serve a dual purpose + make a person (any age) wonder if there IS something there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back