Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BLDC motor Electronic Speed Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I intend to do a small project with a Brushless DC motor. I enquired abt it a bit. I heard that to control it an Electronic Speed Controller is used. I asked an RC airplane enthusiast friend of mine and he told me that an ESC has three terminals, out of which two are connected to the battery and one is connected to a receiver unit. I'd like to control the BLDC with an 8051 microcontroller. Should I connect the third terminal to a port pin of the 8051? And if yes, What kind of signal should I pass to the third terminal? PWM pulses?

Regards,
Mohamed

OK I took a look at some commercial ESC and I saw that it has three i/p terminals and three o/p terminals.. The three o/p terminals go to the BLDC. And outta the three i/p ones, two go to a battery while the third terminal itself has three leads, i.e it has three wires which are bound together and are plugged into the receiver unit for an RC plane. What are these three wires? I know i have to pass PWM pulses through these for speed control but how?

prolly the third will goto battery & pwm, (its to power PWM device) ie recievers and such,, you will need to find the manufactures' specs for the 3 pin layout since they are all different.

Let me jus be clear, So in the third terminal, two are again used for battery(but this is for powering the receiver) and one to pass the speed controller signal.. Am i correct?

yes, receiver power & signal,,

but again check online for the order of pins, each manufacturer is different

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back