Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Biscuit Tin Drums

Status
Not open for further replies.

elMickotanko

Hi,

Im trying to make electronic midi drums. Ive got my electronics sorted: A piezo disk into a peak detector op-amp circuit then connected to a pic which sends midi out with its USART. Thats all working fine:

Piezo triggering

Midi activity

My problem lies in that i want to house them in biscuit tins. A big roses tin for a snare, and two other smaller tins for toms. I glued (epoxy) the disks to the undersides of the lids and connected them to a phono socket on the side of the tin. They just dont work right. They work periodically (about 3 in 10 hits). Its so frustrating, i thought this would be the easy part!
The tin where its glued is like those jars or bottles of food where you press the lid and it pops if its already been opened. This doesnt seem good for the disk also as one of the leads fell off after a few presses.

I want it to trigger really easily and reliably so i can drum fast with just my hands

Has anyone used these piezo disks? How did you mount them onto stuff?

The guy who i got the idea from used sheet metal but i thought biscuit tins would be better cos its thinner?

Ive attached my input circuit.

Attachments

• Piez_input.JPG
    Piez_input.JPG
    7.5 KB · Views: 297
I think the problem might be in the using of hands. The piezo usually needs a hard object to hit it to produce a sharp output rise. Mabye you could have the piezo mounted so that when you hit the tin, it flexes and the metal tin hits the piezo. It probably worked on the desk because your finger was driving it against the hard desk top. Try holding it in the air, tap with your finger then with your finger nail, I expect you find greater reliability with the nail.

Alternatively, it is possible you damaged the piezo by hitting it too hard and now it performs unreliably.

Another possibility would be to use strain gauges on the tins. You could very easily convert the whole system to be pressure sensitive too.

Strain gauges are ultra thin and can be bonded easily to your drum surface.

elMickotanko said:
Hi,

Im trying to make electronic midi drums. Ive got my electronics sorted: A piezo disk into a peak detector op-amp circuit then connected to a pic which sends midi out with its USART. Thats all working fine:

Piezo triggering

Midi activity

My problem lies in that i want to house them in biscuit tins. A big roses tin for a snare, and two other smaller tins for toms. I glued (epoxy) the disks to the undersides of the lids and connected them to a phono socket on the side of the tin. They just dont work right. They work periodically (about 3 in 10 hits). Its so frustrating, i thought this would be the easy part!
{snip}QUOTE]

I newer had any luck using epoxy on metal and especially metal that is flexed. After all epoxy is hard and brittle, it is better to use silicone that stays flexible and bonds very well to most metals.

thinking about it, I bet the tin (steel, I suspect) is spreading the force out over a larger area, When you tapped the piezo with your finger, the force was concentrated in a smaller area. maybe you could make a sandwich with a small circle of, say, rubber that is about the diameter of your finger in between the tin surface and piezo. When you hit the tin, this would concentrate the force into a smaller area on the piezo. I'd use a circle of plywood or mdf to mount the piezo and position it just below the tin surface with the rubber/plastic/whatever disk in the right spot so it makes contact.

You might be able to detect different forces and generate different effects analogous to the different sounds you get depending on where you hit the surface of a drum.

Try adding some gain. The circuit below has a maximum gain of 11.

Attachments

• Piez_input with gain.PNG
    Piez_input with gain.PNG
    28 KB · Views: 248
philba said:
thinking about it, I bet the tin (steel, I suspect) is spreading the force out over a larger area, When you tapped the piezo with your finger, the force was concentrated in a smaller area. maybe you could make a sandwich with a small circle of, say, rubber that is about the diameter of your finger in between the tin surface and piezo. When you hit the tin, this would concentrate the force into a smaller area on the piezo. I'd use a circle of plywood or mdf to mount the piezo and position it just below the tin surface with the rubber/plastic/whatever disk in the right spot so it makes contact.

You might be able to detect different forces and generate different effects analogous to the different sounds you get depending on where you hit the surface of a drum.

Thanks, ill try that. That makes a lot of sense. I've thought about the different tones depending where the drum is hit. I suppose with one piezo I would have to sacrifice velocity for this.

For now i just want to get it working. im transmitting a set velocity of 100.

Thanks Ron, i'll try putting in the gain aswell. I've already housed the electronics into a neat box cos i thought it was working:mad:. Its annoying but im learning i suppose.

Velocity sensitivity is definately possible with single piezo elements. My cheap electric drum set has quite large diameter piezo discs stuck onto pretty thick steel plates (around 1.5mm thick, doesn't flex at all) and this is coated in rubber on top. It has full velocity sensitivity.

Dr.EM said:
Velocity sensitivity is definately possible with single piezo elements. My cheap electric drum set has quite large diameter piezo discs stuck onto pretty thick steel plates (around 1.5mm thick, doesn't flex at all) and this is coated in rubber on top. It has full velocity sensitivity.

That sounds like a FAR better solution, a biscuit tin is thin and crappy!, it will deform when struck and probably break the piezo? (and sound like rubbish).

Nigel Goodwin said:
That sounds like a FAR better solution, a biscuit tin is thin and crappy!, it will deform when struck and probably break the piezo? (and sound like rubbish).

It would look good on stage playing a full set of biscuit tins though!:cool:

Ive tried gluing one on the underside of a proper metal plate, and adding the gain. This has helped a bit, it triggers ok when i tap the ceramic, but its still no good when tapping the other side. Can i just keep increasing the gain until it triggers by hand?

ps. where can i get some rubber:eek:?? I tried glueing a mouse mat to my biscuit tins but it looked crap.

Hand triggering is quite difficult. I'd hurt my fingers trying to get anything out of my set without sticks. You may just be able to increase the gain, but i'm not sure it'll be reliable then (my set sometimes false triggers, I think it is due to static build up)

Hi,
Still having problems with this.

Does anyone know what commercial 'trigger pads' use? ones that trigger by hand.

phalanx said:
Another possibility would be to use strain gauges on the tins. You could very easily convert the whole system to be pressure sensitive too.

Strain gauges are ultra thin and can be bonded easily to your drum surface.

Where can I get strain gauges cheaply, all the places i found on the net are £30 upwards? Is there anything i could hack to get them? Or FSRs?

elMickotanko said:
Hi,

Piezo triggering

Midi activity

The tin where its glued is like those jars or bottles of food where you press the lid and it pops if its already been opened. This doesnt seem good for the disk also as one of the leads fell off after a few presses.

I want it to trigger really easily and reliably so i can drum fast with just my hands

Has anyone used these piezo disks? How did you mount them onto stuff?

The guy who i got the idea from used sheet metal but i thought biscuit tins would be better cos its thinner?

Ive attached my input circuit.

Long time since I worked with op-amps, but why the diode? Check the input to the amp with an oscilloscope, DC coupled, before during and after you do your drumming. Seems like you will have a voltage shift due to the diode and the R-C time constant. Maybe substitute a cap. for the diode, if anything is needed at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back