Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Binary Clock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidOrb24

Does anyone have any idea how to build a binary clock. Just something simple that has a few leds, and built with only logic gates?

I have no idea where to start, even a little pointer in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

well, you could make a very simple one by just feeding a timer into series of counters that trigger as each one reachs it's max (ie, the 1's of the seconds would trigger the 10's of the seconds when it reaches 10 itself). to display the time, all you would need is four seven segments along with their drivers.

this clock would be pretty inaccurate tho unless you took special care to produce an accurate timer and also the only way to set the time would be to reset all the counters at 0h00 so that they would count on from then.

if you think that might be what your looking to build, give me a shout and i'll try to help you further.

Binary Clock Design using gates.

Did anyone find information on doing this project? If they could post some more details that would be great.

JRo

If you mean you want to display 12 o'clock as: 1100 and 60 minutes as: 111100, it is not practical to use only gates. Some binary counters would be appropriate. A source of 1 minute pulses clocks a 6 or 8 bit counter that resets at a count of 60. This drives a 4 bit counter that resets at a count of 12. You could have another flip-flop to keep track of AM and PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back