Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bill is now tutoring Krummy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
I am so very pissed!

For the nth time Krumlink was not online at the agreed upon time for a lesson. I have better things to do then waste time on missed appointments. Sorry does not cut it anymore.

He stayed up till about 2AM working on code to flash the junebug leds. That Bill provided. That was part of the lesson for today. Since it came from BIll was either in ASM or SfB and Krummy is supposed to be learning C.

It's annoying when you prepare for things and the person you prepared for doesn't turn up (this reminds me of some of my early girlfriends:eek:). Best advice I can give is move on, teach the kids who want to learn.

Mike.

It was a hex file! I imported it into the junebugs and thought howard might like it that I was learning multiplex and getting the hang of it. I feel really horrible and is there anything at all I can do?

I really badly want to learn C and MCU in general.

Venting:

We went through the same song and dance while school was in session. There was always some reason for not showing or not having the work done. The best is I recall is going with granny to look at ice sculptures. He does not even bother to cancel, just a no show. So we opted to stop work till school was out. Waited a bit to give him/me a bit of off time. First lesson and the same old thing. He has a total disregard for the value of my time. It is mine to spend or waste, if I plan to spend it on him it is wrong for him to make it a waste.

I sent him 2 Junebugs (Bill donated one PCB). I built one and sent the other as a kit. The idea is that I wanted him to have them on hand for learning. Instead he starts to do mods and talks about converting one into a robot. The robot PCBs I sent him many months ago sit there because he has not learned to program.

Bit it is very hard to give up.

Not converting into a robot, just a simple header. As for the mod it is so I can power the Junebug without having to have it usb powered. It is actually very handy. I have pictures of the grandma ice sculpture thing.

Attachments

• 4-5-08 024.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 226
Where to start. First, these are all excuses and you are not sorry and may not understand what it is to be.

To load a hex file all you do is open MPLAB or PICkit2 tool, import the file and hit program. In no way does this explain why you stayed up so late that you could not make the appointment. How stupid do you think I am. You were on the board till 1:30 AM. Possibly playing video games.

Loading the hex file and watching the lights blink will teach you zero about multiplexing.

That was the only mod you had done when I pointed out you were not to mod them. What is the point in any mod to a programmer when you can not program! You always think you know better.

I feel really horrible and is there anything at all I can do?
Lets see, If I were to bill for my time it would be at over $100 an hour. Yet you play fast and loose with it. Maybe send me a check for my wasted time? I would not take it if you could.

What do you think you should do?
What do you think you should not do?
Even if you understand both of these what assurance can you give me that things will change for more then a few days?

Last edited:
hi 3V0,
I have watched your posts ref Krumlink over the past few months.

I must compliment you on your patience and tolerance on dealing with Krumlink.

I would hope this stern warning you have just given should be the last, if he steps out of line again, I would tell him to go elsewhere.

hi Krumlink,
Being taught by a personal mentor is not something that should be taken lightly.
You are fortunate that a senior person is taking the time and trouble to guide you in your studies.
Not many young people are so lucky.

If 3V0 gives you another break and you don't follow thru you want your ars*e kicking.

If you want him to stop tutoring you, then tell him so now, so that he can apply his time with people who do.

Regards

Last edited:
yeah, those kind of people are the ones who wind up shining my shoes or scrubbing my toilet.

if you're doing this for free, dump him!

if you're getting paid, end it and don't give any refunds.

Kids get dragged around to all kinds of things when school is out, but it only takes a few seconds to send an Email, or pick up a phone. Don't just leave people hanging like that, pretty much everyone hates to be treated that way. You've got/had something of great value. You may never get such a wonderful opportunity again in life. All you have to do is dedicate a little bit of time and effort. Learning responsibility isn't easy, some never get the hang of it, and have to struggle through life. Once you've lost someone's trust in you, it's very difficult, if not impossible to regain it a gain.

These things might be hard to understand now, but later in life, you will look back, and remember how lucky you were, or remember how stupid you were.

You should probably get your parents involved in the scheduling, so they know how important this time is, and maybe they can help you keep your appointments. If you have to miss, don't just blow it off, let him know as quickly as you can. Don't wait until guest arrive, before telling him your parents planned it two weeks ago...

We all understand your time isn't entirely yours to use as you please, you have other people decide what you'll be doing. Nobody is getting mad over that, it's just the lack of consideration. If you can keep an appointment, at least give people the chance to use the time for other things.

Remember folks: this forum represents a social community for some people to interact with people when perhaps they might have a difficult time already engaging people in different media or in-person.

There's no obligation to take into consideration the ethics of ostracizing someone from the forum community, however, I'd like to put forth that especially in the case of minors it might behoove us all to pay due attention that on-gong learning takes precedence over alienation.

In short, if you try something and it doesn't work out, such as a partnership in learning, suck it up and move on to the next opportunity. Put the experience down to a lesson learned, weigh the positives and negatives, and adjust accordingly to make the best of the present and future.

Last edited:
I wasn't playing video games, messing around, only working on this:
YouTube - LED Mux programmed with Junebug

I spent a lot of time on that and organizing my Microcontrollers. I spent a lot of time working on understanding Multiplexers and charlieplexers, and I have enough knowledge to build my own displays. I was doing this because I love electronics, not that anybody is making it.

I have been under fire enough and some slight depression lately.

Attachments

• junebug.jpg
    junebug.jpg
    451.2 KB · Views: 237
Eat properly, get outside for at least 2 hours in the afternoon, and go to bed on time. I've been reading through some of Don Lancaster's articles online, and he knows enough about electronics to put anyone on this forum to shame. Even he wrote an article emphasizing the importance of good health.

Your physical and mental health are much more closely linked than is usually given credit. You can boost one with the other, to build them both up. For instance, if you challenge yourself to run a certain distance, you'll find yourself strategizing to find a way and convince yourself that you can do better next time. Conversely, if you eat and sleep properly, you'll find the physical ease of your body will permit great lucidity of thought.

Stop playing video games. They're a waste of time, especially to the degree that they're often played today. A half-hour of video games is fun and sufficient. More than that is symptomatic of habitual activity - it's no longer fun, you just do it because of the inertia of the activity, to the point of it inhibiting your ability to imagine doing anything else. That's not good.

I don't want to get on a whole thing here, but since I'm at it...
The ethics of video games, especially FPS, is inconsistent with the ethics of reality. That's probably self-evident (you're not going to go out and gratuitously blow-up a piece of public property just to watch it explode, are you?), but we don't really concern ourselves too much with thinking reflectively about that. We should. Behind all the bells and whistles of a FPS game - the VR, communicating to your team members, taunting the other team members - there's very little in terms of the scope of human interaction. Yet, sadly, many young people in their formative years are taught (even if indirectly), that it's okay to sit for hours on end in front of a computer, having the vaste scope of possibility for human interaction limited by the meager capabilities of a single video game. Which was probably programmed by a group of anti-social nerds to begin with.

Temper your activities. Be like Johnny #5 in Short Circuit: get more input.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3v0
Eat properly, get outside for at least 2 hours in the afternoon, and go to bed on time. I've been reading through some of Don Lancaster's articles online, and he knows enough about electronics to put anyone on this forum to shame. Even he wrote an article emphasizing the importance of good health.

Your physical and mental health are much more closely linked than is usually given credit. You can boost one with the other, to build them both up. For instance, if you challenge yourself to run a certain distance, you'll find yourself strategizing to find a way and convince yourself that you can do better next time. Conversely, if you eat and sleep properly, you'll find the physical ease of your body will permit great lucidity of thought.

Stop playing video games. They're a waste of time, especially to the degree that they're often played today. A half-hour of video games is fun and sufficient. More than that is symptomatic of habitual activity - it's no longer fun, you just do it because of the inertia of the activity, to the point of it inhibiting your ability to imagine doing anything else. That's not good.

I don't want to get on a whole thing here, but since I'm at it...
The ethics of video games, especially FPS, is inconsistent with the ethics of reality. That's probably self-evident (you're not going to go out and gratuitously blow-up a piece of public property just to watch it explode, are you?), but we don't really concern ourselves too much with thinking reflectively about that. We should. Behind all the bells and whistles of a FPS game - the VR, communicating to your team members, taunting the other team members - there's very little in terms of the scope of human interaction. Yet, sadly, many young people in their formative years are taught (even if indirectly), that it's okay to sit for hours on end in front of a computer, having the vaste scope of possibility for human interaction limited by the meager capabilities of a single video game. Which was probably programmed by a group of anti-social nerds to begin with.

Temper your activities. Be like Johnny #5 in Short Circuit: get more input.

You forgot to add... pray and take your vitamins!!!! - Hulk Hogan

and wear american t-shirts that you can easily rip off your body!

Last edited:
Did you ever say why you weren't online for the lesson? Dang, I can't imagine having all of those learning tools in front of me, and a personal tutor as well. Seems to me someone who loves electronics as much as you say you do, would run through fire in gasoline underwear before missing those lessons. You may have just lost a once in a lifetime opportunity...sad really. A lot of people would jump through hoops for a chance like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back