Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bilateral switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screech

cmoss 4066:
I'm switching an 8 volt circuit with this switch.

Looking at the data sheet, circled in red, is this switch only allowed to switch a max of 7.5 volts?

Thanks

Attachments

• 4o66.gif
    4o66.gif
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,045
  • 4066_cmos.pdf
    111.8 KB · Views: 345
See Analog Devices **broken link removed** and **broken link removed**. The Supply Voltage column will be of particular interest to you. Also check out Maxim, and maybe some of the other analog IC mfr's.
Unfortunately, they aren't cheap like CMOS.

Hi Screech,
What are you switching?
The 4066 is designed to switch analog or digital low-current signals, not power.
Like all Cmos ICs, its input voltage must not exceed its power supply voltages. You have circled on its datasheet where it says it can switch signals from -7.5V to +7.5V, so that example must be using dual -7.5V and +7.5V power supplies. Instead, you could use a single 15V power supply and it will switch signals from ground to +15V.
To switch 8V, its supply voltage must be at least 8V up to its maximum recommended supply of 15V.
Its control inputs are usually its negative supply for OFF, but it could be as high as 30% of the supply voltage, and its positive supply for ON, but it could be as low as 70% of the supply voltage.

oh, that makes sense.
thanks.

I'm running +8v thru resistors (low current) to a 555 timer thru the 4066 switch.

Hello,

what Audioguru said is right, I also would supply the chip with at least +0,5 V (and -0,5 V in case of negative power) more than the input signal you want to switch, for example use standard 9 Vdc power supply.

Hi 2Pac,
Hola, como estas! (That's about all the Spanish I know).
Greetings from Canada. My hot Spanish wifey is from Teruel, which is halfway from where you are and Madrid.

Hi Audioguru!!!

Thank you, I´ve never been in Teruel and neither in Canada (there is too cold for me!!!!). I´ve been in the mainland in a lot of cities but not there... I also have been in Italy, France, Germany, Portugal and Austria but never out of Europe. I would like to go somewhere out of Europe then you can see a big difference on the way of life.

As you probably know in Mallorca we enjoy usually a good weather but yesterday it was snowing at the city after 20 years (sometimes in winter time only snows at the mountains) and now the view is really unusual but very nice at the same time. We have 0 degrees and we are not used to have such a temperature. I know for you that is nothing because there are very very low temperatures!

Nice to know you and greetings also from here to you and your spanish wife, my name is Iván.

Hola Ivan,
It is amazing that you got snow in Mallorca. Maybe pretty soon we will also see pigs fly!
It doesn't get very cold where I am in Canada, the Great Lakes of North America are nearby and their size and depth keeps things warm. A few times each winter it gets very cold for only a couple of days but we are comfortable indoors because everywhere has heating. Fuel and electricity here is fairly cheap.
Years ago in winter I went to the southern USA for training. It was nice and warm there so I took summer clothes. Then suddenly I was sent from there to central Canada to fix an electronic disaster, and wow was it ever cold! That's the only time I felt minus 40 degrees C!
I don't like shovelling snow from my sidewalk and driveway a couple of times per week so I am trying to think of a way to melt it electrically, then pour it down the drain before it freezes again. It would be difficult since the snow has such a bright white colour it reflects heat away, and the drain is far away. Maybe I should just get a snow-blower.
When it is cold here the air is very dry and allows static electricity. A few days ago my latest Cmos project got zapped by simply putting it in a plastic bag!
Luckily during summer it is about as warm here as where you are.
In summer we don't swim much in the Great Lakes. They are so big that their temperature is out-of-phase with the seasons, being fairly cold in summer and fairly warm in winter. There are many smaller, warmer lakes around, and we don't get those nasty stinging fishy things that you get in your salt water. Some people like to go fishing in the river near me. Once per year there are so many huge (more than a metre long, 20kg) salmon that you could just reach in and pick them up with your hands (it's against the law), or walk across the river on top of them all.
Some places in Canada get stinging flying bugs like black flys or moskitoes, how about in Mallorca? Not here though, just a few moskitoes that are eaten by bats each evening. I was going to make an electronic bat frequency down-converter to hear what they are saying, until I heard a recording of them on the internet and it sounded like digital data.
Hasta la vista, Ivan!

Wow!!!

I would like to see a place like that, I though Canada was harder to live but I see there are good places, of course in such a big country...
For sure my father would enjoy very much on that place because he always asks me the same when on some movie or on TV´s documentary appears a landscape from Canada:

"Wouldn´t you like to be there with your canoe and your rifle?" Jajaja

and also says:

"Only you and the nature...oh, that´s amazing!"

Also when he see Yellowstone, but I´m not sure if that place is Canada, Alaska or EEUU...

I work in electronic systems from MTU on boats, we are MTU official service for MTU firm in Baleares (www.mtmsa.com), and MTU works also now with Detroit Diesel engines so may be in the futur I also go to Detroit for a training, who knows!!! At the moment I only go to Germany once per year usually for new system trainings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back