Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Big Day for Robotics Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
About a week ago the principal asked if I would do a short presentation on what our class was doing at the monthly teacher inservice. There were the last minute problems as expected but we were ready on time.

I covered the blackboards with basic electronics, computer math, PWM basics, timer basics, and a very simplified version of the code to move the robot. On a table I setup a display the started with parts, breadboards, PCB making supplies, various PCBs, assembled PCBs, gearbox kits, and the assembled robots.

On the wall we hung poster sized schematics of our transistor H-Bridge and the main controller board.

We started by having the robots run around the floor. Two students explained the information, processes, and materials. I helped in a few spots when they were speaking about what rather then how or why. They did a very good job.

The teachers were a good crowd and asked reasonable questions. The students enjoy strutting their stuff. We finished the presentation in 25 minutes which was 10 longer then I reserved.

We still have career night and a presentation for the school board ahead of us.

That's a good story. Congratulations. We need more of that type of thing in our schools. John

Just curious, is the Robotics Class a new thing this year? Will further years depend on the success of this year? How will success be measured?

Either way, congratulations and good luck with your future presentations. As John said, we need more of this in all our schools.

Mike.

It's a good time for robotics in New Brunswick, too! I've just joined a handful of teachers in the province who are dedicated to defining a robotics course as part of the Grade 12 curriculum. The course is already being taught, as it is a metamorphisis from the pre-existing program. Most of the adjustments being made are due to new opportunities available to students through the various robotic products on the market, and also to accommodate the changing expectations for what students will be learning and doing after they graduate.

What I think would be really great for tech studies in NB would be an iconic, unifying activity. Something that could really boast the abilities of the teachers and students, in way that could make an impression on the general public (and school administrators!). I sense there's an opportunity here to get the provincial community college and the high schools working together. The college has a great program, but is having trouble attracting students despite the fact that their two-year programs have a 100% job placement record! I'm telling you lads, there are jobs here in NB for y'all!

After talking to the Tech department and the Principal at my H.S. they finally allowed to take blockers off a school computer so I can go in and program stuff at school. I am trying to convince my teacher to do some sort of PIC programming, and with 3v0's Junebug tutorials, they could go together!

EDIT: Congratulations on the success of your class. Hope the teachers will increase funding :p

Pommie said:
Just curious, is the Robotics Class a new thing this year? Will further years depend on the success of this year? How will success be measured?

Either way, congratulations and good luck with your future presentations. As John said, we need more of this in all our schools.

Mike.

Personally I am measuring success by the number of students who would like to take the class. I see it as a culture building process. The activity of the current students attract the students for next year. It becomes interesting.

This is my second year teaching here. Last year I offered a intro to programming class and 4 students dropped within the first 2 weeks. 3 made it to the end of the first term. With only 2 students left second term I switched to teaching embedded systems. In time it became clear to me that robotics was the main attraction.

This year the goal was to have students build a simple uC controlled robot by the send of the school year. We have meet that goal and still have a few weeks left to add some feedback. Next year I plan to build a few simple devices like the magic switchboard and the mondo superProbe first. That will give them tangible results sooner and teach the same principals.

Without a teaching certificate state regulations allow me to teach 1 hour a day in the high school setting. I could not handle much more.

Up to now I have not meet with the school board, I am told I have their support. On a per student basis this has to be one of the more expensive classes in terms of materials. We have an account with Mouser and Microchip has provided free samples. I buy some of the parts or provide them from stock.

Bill has been generous and provided us with Junebugs. We also have a few ICD2 clones that I built over the summer. Not having a DSO is a major pain. I have been lugging my old HP scope, I fear the car trips are shorting the life of the CRT. The one on my LA died during my last move.

If I can find the time this summer I may build something like .

Krumlink said:
... I am trying to convince my teacher to do some sort of PIC programming, and with 3v0's Junebug tutorials, they could go together!
That would be a good idea if the tutorials were already written. So far I have just done enough for a proof of concept. It is vapor at this point.

Congratulations and good work. This is awesome and it's great how you give your time to this sort of thing.

Torben

3v0 said:
Personally I am measuring success by the number of students who would like to take the class. I see it as a culture building process. The activity of the current students attract the students for next year. It becomes interesting.

I would suggest further indications are how many students remain in the class, and how many actually pass the class.

But certainly your first objective is to get students in the class, and if you can make it suitably interesting (which it sounds like you are) it will become self sustaining.

Nigel Goodwin said:
I would suggest further indications are how many students remain in the class, and how many actually pass the class.

But certainly your first objective is to get students in the class, and if you can make it suitably interesting (which it sounds like you are) it will become self sustaining.

That is my hope. If I can build a body of students that see it as an interesting hobby it will attract others. Last year I ended up with one student. This year I have two. One is a friend of the original student the second is his younger brother. So far I have heard about 4 new students who are interested in taking the class next year. For that to work out they need to have the correct hour open in their schedule.

Great Job !!!!

3v0 said:
About a week ago the principal asked if I would do a short presentation on what our class was doing at the monthly teacher inservice. There were the last minute problems as expected but we were ready on time.

I covered the blackboards with basic electronics, computer math, PWM basics, timer basics, and a very simplified version of the code to move the robot. On a table I setup a display the started with parts, breadboards, PCB making supplies, various PCBs, assembled PCBs, gearbox kits, and the assembled robots.

On the wall we hung poster sized schematics of our transistor H-Bridge and the main controller board.

We started by having the robots run around the floor. Two students explained the information, processes, and materials. I helped in a few spots when they were speaking about what rather then how or why. They did a very good job.

The teachers were a good crowd and asked reasonable questions. The students enjoy strutting their stuff. We finished the presentation in 25 minutes which was 10 longer then I reserved.

We still have career night and a presentation for the school board ahead of us.

I work in (Video Teleconferencing) at a (University) right now it's, Math,English,History,Humanity's,Anthology,Biology,Aviation,Health,Meteorology,Astronomy.

However, I would like to see something started that might help improve the Math skills of some students. They would find more applications to use those new concepts.

My boss is a Programmer and is big in providing media HTML ect. But to my knowledge it is not embedded stuff.

These classes are only for the Senior K-12 grade students what are your students grade level.

Great I would like more info but I would like a private Message Please with some Contact Info to see if I can match or bring something to the party.

It would be cool if we could get something going here. I think robotics is the next big thing. I believe that these kids might stop playing so many games and actually build something given a chance with the right motivation.

In my computer hardware and software class, unfortunately about half of the kids only took it because they:
1. Thought it was a blow off class
2. Try to think that the teacher is a pushover
3. Play games on the computer.
4. Pick it because it is easy

1/4 of the other kids:
1. Pick it so they dont have to do any work.
2. Try to make the teacher make everybody not do anything
3. Annoy other kids and mess with their stuff

the last 1/4 of the kids: (including me)
1. Do the assignments given and get them done correctly.
2. look for extra things to do after they get it done.
3. Bring things into the class and try to improve on it.
4. Help the teacher with other kids that are having trouble.

I also managed to get MPLAB working and I was programming in about 30min of setting it up on the computer. I showed the teacher the Junebug and the lessons, and he said if he can ever get any more funding for the class he would try and invest in some junebugs and if any more of 3v0's tutorials ever get made :p he would follow them somewhat as a cirriculum.

I have a very wierd setup on a very small table. The monitor is pointed down and the keyboard is right next to the tower, which is a sideways tower where the monitor lays on top. the keyboard is next to that, and I set at the keyboard, looking crooked and up at the monitor. Everything worked though, and he was thoroughly impressed.

Bill: He is very interested in getting some JUNEBUG's but unfortunately he is unable to right now. Perhaps you could talk to him? I will ask him about it tomorrow.

Another problem that I see with students and technology, is that they have destructive impulses if they do not accomplish their task. i only wish that they took a real initative in their technology and understand that this is the future.

I also believe that another reason that not so many students are going into engineering as a maximum, is that they think that science is pouring chemicals and creating magic smoke sort of things. Only if they understood that science is about innovation and creating the future, perhaps they would take it more seriously.

There are 10 types of people:
Those who are nerds
Those who will be working for nerds

This was said by one of Michigan's senators at a competiton. This is true, because anybody who can understand the context can get a good Engineering job, and can make money. Once they make money, they could start their own businesses and choose how they make their money.

As for me, I would like to work for FANUC or a robotic technology company, one that examines and researches robotic intellegence. I would eventually like to open up my own business and begin making robot kits (made me think of bill) or open up a robotic research company. As long as I am working around electronics, I would be very happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back