Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

bidirectional control DC motor by using relays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nigel Goodwin said:
What part of "USE A DIODE ACROSS THE COIL" didn't you understand?.
I understand, I just want to learn more..

The high voltage spike is dissipated by the diode, it doesn't go anywhere, right?

OK I will try and make it simple.

While current flows through the coil, energy is stored in the magnetic field.

When the current stops, the magnetic field collapses and the energy has to go somewhere.

When there is a diode across the coil, a current will flow through the diode and the coil and the energy will be dissipated as heat in the coil and the diode.

JimB

PS, did someone say "just use a diode!". It is old, tried and trusted technology and it works.

The current that goes throug the coil of your relay is, when stabilised, creating a magnetic field around the coil. Some energy is stored there. When you cut the current, that energy must be spent somewhere. It tends to continue to push the current throgh the coil, and becouse it is cut off from the rest of the circuit ( by stopping the transistor from conducting), exess voltage is collected at collector of the transistor ( the current is charging the cappacitance of the collector).
This curret can be closed to the coil itself by placin a diode across the coil, reverse polarised to the nominal direction of the current throug it ( so when you want your relay to close, the current goes through the coil, and diode stays inversly polarized. When you shut the transistor, circuit closes through the diode, and the energy stored in magnetic field is dissipated on coil's internal resistance.

I hope that this is clear enough...

For more theory read somenthing related to Lentz's law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back