Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bicycle brake cable switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damo267

Hi,

I want to use a switch on my bicycle brake cable to actuate a brake light. What style of switch should I be looking for? Does anyone have any examples?

Thanks,

Damian.

Hi,

I want to use a switch on my bicycle brake cable to actuate a brake light. What style of switch should I be looking for? Does anyone have any examples?

Thanks,

Damian.

Seem more mechanical than electronic to me. The robotics area might be a better place to ask.

I would take a magnetic reed switch and a magnet if there is enough movement in the cable.

Glue a magnet on the cable and mount the reed switch close to it. Also I hope this is an LED break light, otherwise you might need to use the reed relay switch to fire a circuit to drive the break light.

Maybe a paddle switch that is N.O. (normally open) and let a mechanical part open and close the paddle lever.

Guess I would need to see a picture of the location you want to install it. But hope that helps.

Whoa!
Yeah, that helps a lot, thanks, it is much appreciated.

That smacks of sarcasm, Damo267.
I surfed around on the net for a couple of pages and it looks like you are going to have to custom build what you are after. Most bike lights are on or off and don't actuate when you apply the brakes.
Mramos1 gave good advice. Almost exactly what I was thinking.

Well I'm still here and willing to help him, but we will need more details for anyone here to comment.

We know there is a cable and he wants to turn on a light. Current on the light?

Maybe his English is bad, I did not catch the smack he did on me. He did not bother to fill in his location field either, so he might be a tad lazy.

If he was in the US (we have some lazy people, I know, I live here) I could have sent him my phone number and helped him. But my phone calls are only free in the USA for me to call him back.

Mike2545, thanks for having my back. Just do not spend too much time on the homework guys.

Last edited:
I am a Canadian with a 22-year-old bike trailer having a switch assembly that is the best solution. It is a cable-mounted bolt activating a snap action switch removed from a microwave oven. The bolt is adjusted so that the brake lights come on when the brake shoes touch the rim. The switch is mounted on a 1/2"-wide aluminum strip bolted to the bike frame. In my taillight controller circuit, the controller supplies the voltage to the switch, and the input voltage passes through the relay NC contacts before feeding the taillights. The circuit:

Attachments

• UTTI.gif
    UTTI.gif
    71.2 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back