Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bi Colour LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMB

Hi, i admit to knowing very little about electonic Circuits etc. for my first project I want to design an indicator to show when my garage door is open or closed, I intend to use a Bi Colour LED for this purpose, ie Red open / Green closed. Do I place the the resistors on the Anodes or Cathodes ?. If the answer is to the Cathode how do I calculate the resistance.

Thanks

Hi, i admit to knowing very little about electonic Circuits etc. for my first project I want to design an indicator to show when my garage door is open or closed, I intend to use a Bi Colour LED for this purpose, ie Red open / Green closed. Do I place the the resistors on the Anodes or Cathodes ?. If the answer is to the Cathode how do I calculate the resistance.

Thanks

Hi and Welcome.
Do you have a part number for your LED.?

For single LED's it dosnt matter if the resistor is in the anode or cathode.
Some Bi colour LED's have a common Anode.?? and separate Cathodes.

A standard LED is usually run at 15mA or so.

Yep welcome. Some Bi-color LED's are three leads and some are two. The three lead packages can be common anode or common cathode.

As for resistor placement or resistors placement for the 3 pin devices, it depends. You can use 1 resistor or two resistors.

We/you will need to know Vf and If.

To be correct a Bi coloured led has 2 legs and a Tri coloured led has 3 legs.

For a Tri coloured led I would normmally place a resistor on each anode leg as then it can be used as a Bi or Tri coloured led.

For a Bi coloured led (2 legs) you would only use 1 resistor.

Pete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back