Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Better than a MOV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was designing a snubber and thought about using a MOV to clamp the voltage spike below 250 so I can use the 250 volt capactors I have, but a 130 Volt (Littlefuse brand) MOV limits voltage to about 220 volts at 1 milliamp. Obviously, the current spike when a Triac shuts off is way more than 1 milliamp.

Perhaps I am out of date. Can anyone name a device that has lower clamping voltages per amp than a similar voltage rated MOV?

ps, I'm in USA with 125V mains and 60 Hz frequency.

I looked, but the graphs don't seem to be saying this is an improvement, and very hard to read! Maybe that's the problem. The graph is so small that I can't be sure the Panasonic ZNR is better than the Littlefuse MOV for this purpose.

Thank you, but more suggestions would be welcome, like how to get that training chart in a PDF so I can expand it to readable size, or some other device that has been invented since the last time I researched this topic.

Here's an idea...just forget the snubber, put the MOV across the 400 volt Triac, and expect that to keep it safe. Will that work?

Thanks for the reminder about the dv/dt.

I looked at where you said. I downloaded the spec sheets and ran through the training manual.
Aha...found it. 30 milliamps at 250 volts.

I think I'm gonna have to buy 400 volt capacitors to snub a 400 volt triac instead of trying to force what I have laying around the shop to do what I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back