Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Better reverse polarity protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jst3712

Hi, I can't find much useful info regarding reverse polarity protection without loss of efficiency.
I don't like the idea of simply using a diode because of the voltage drops involved, but then I am after a circuit that doesn't use too many components, if possible!

So basically, I was wondering if anyone can assist me with a diagram or any good links showing me how I can do this.

Thanks.
Jason

A diode in parallel with the unit, and a fuse in series - if you connect the power the wrong way it blows the fuse (and often the diode as well).

It's the method generally used in car radios - called a 'crowbar' circuit.

A diode in parallel with the unit, and a fuse in series - if you connect the power the wrong way it blows the fuse (and often the diode as well).

Thanks Nigel, Sounds simple enough - I shall look into that one.

Hi,

There is also a good MOSFET protection circuit, which uses very few parts.
Perhaps someone else can find a copy of a schematic for this circuit.
The MOSFET gets put in series with the load, so that if anything is not
right the MOSFET turns off and no power to load. It works great and is
very fast, much faster than a fuse too.

Hi Jst3712,

A circuit like this could do the trick.
When you look at the graphs you can also
see the limitations of the circuit.
It won't work below 5 volt and the load
current should not exceed 500 mA at 5 volt.
You could replace the old dog with a more
expensive logic level mosfet.
The same goes for a high load current, even
when the supply voltage is well above 10 volt.
Because the Rdson of these old fets is far
higher than those of modern fets the voltage
drop across the Rdson will become significant.

on1aag.

Attachments

• Reverse Power Protection.PNG
    Reverse Power Protection.PNG
    16.7 KB · Views: 4,532
  • Reverse Power Protection Graph.PNG
    Reverse Power Protection Graph.PNG
    14.1 KB · Views: 2,398

When I was a teenager (mid 70s), I made lots of beer money replacing the crowbar diodes in CB radios. I got quite a reputation as I only charged £5 to fix this problem. :D

Mike.

When I was a teenager (mid 70s), I made lots of beer money replacing the crowbar diodes in CB radios. I got quite a reputation as I only charged £5 to fix this problem. :D

Mike.

Hi Mike,

I charged a lot more but I replaced the diode with a
16 volt / 10 watts zener diode.
These cost more than a regular diode.
If you rip someone off you better do it right! :D

on1aag.

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

I charged a lot more but I replaced the diode with a
16 volt / 10 watts zener diode.
These cost more than a regular diode.
If you rip someone off you better do it right! :D

on1aag.

yeh ripping with honesty is the key lolz!!

CB...hehe I remember those days well...

I used to replace the crowbar diode & fuse and fit an 8A bridge to the input. I never had one back again for reversed polarity.
I done a few taxi radios that way as well, there were always a handful of drivers that were colour blind...or had a brain fart every time they had to move their radio from one car to another. Better to have a reputation of being expensive, but good :)

rgds

Use Schottky (hot carrier) rectifiers in series. A single one will only sacrifice 0.1 to 0.2 v. Better yet, stick a whole bridge rectifier circuit in there made up of 4 Schottkys and it won't matter which way you connect the input DC lines!

Dean

How about that?

I haven't tried it yet (no N-Channel MosFet at hand), but it should work.

There are two conditions which must apply to have the transistor conduct. There must be a negative or neutral source voltage and a positive gate voltage.

The transistor has less voltage drop than a Schottky diode.

Boncuk

Attachments

• FPP.gif
    FPP.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 1,456
Thank you

Hi everyone, thanks for all your replies/suggestions. Easier for me to do one big reply rather than 8, :D

I noticed a lot of discussion regarding the crowbar diode.... Does that mean the diodes usually/always die should there be a short, even though there is a fuse? Having said this, should the fuse blow, would it be good practice in checking the diode every time after replacing the fuse, or does the diode die only when it wants to kind of thing?

Thanks to everyone else with their schematics... I will also take them into consideration, but the less components the better.
The MOSFET idea sounds good though (perhaps for future projects). I would love a schematic though, .... anyone?! :)

Cheers
Jason

How about that?

There are two conditions which must apply to have the transistor conduct. There must be a negative or neutral source voltage and a positive gate voltage.

The transistor has less voltage drop than a Schottky diode.

Boncuk

hi Hans,
Look thru these pdf's for N MOSFET solutions.:)

Attachments

• si4403.pdf
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,835
  • AN2012.pdf
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,239
  • Reverse_Batery_Protection.pdf
    149.6 KB · Views: 1,723

It won't.

Under reversed supply polarity, the MOSFET is not biased ON but the internal parasitic drain-source diode would conduct and power/destroy the load.

However, if we swap the drain-source connection, then it will work.

Attachments

• FPP_x.gif
    FPP_x.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 857
Last edited:

To minimise the risk of harming the diode, use one with a surge rating that exceeds the short circuit current.

If you use polyfuse then you don't have to bother replacing the fuse everytime.

Another solution is to use a Schotky diode or a MOSFET as has already been suggested by others.

In my opinion, the simplest and most efficient method of reverse polarity protection is to use a relay, especially if the load current is large.

Use the contacts of the relay to switch the supply to the load, and put a diode in series with the relay coil so that it is only energised when the supply is the correct polarity.

JimB

It won't.

Under reversed supply polarity, the MOSFET is not biased ON but the internal parasitic drain-source diode would conduct and power/destroy the load.

Thanks,

just forgot about the internal diode. ;)

It won't.

Thanks,

I forgot about the diode. ;)

Hans

In my opinion, the simplest and most efficient method of reverse polarity protection is to use a relay, especially if the load current is large.

Use the contacts of the relay to switch the supply to the load, and put a diode in series with the relay coil so that it is only energised when the supply is the correct polarity.

JimB

Ok, well with this idea, I guess I wouldn't have to replace anything (fuse nor diode), and it's only 2 parts... good one... I'll look at this idea as well.

Cheers
Jason

reversed Polarity P

hi! I'm looking for a reverse polarity protection circuit diagram can any body help? it needs to be able to handle at leas 25 amps at 12 volts DC. any suggestions please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back