Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Better 12V Car Battery Tester, under load??

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuee

Hi.
I want to be able to test a car battery (think its called load test).
I have a few batteries i keep swapping between the car and boat. (both have 2) and a couple spare. I purchased another battery today and they used this small box, connected the clips to both terminals and it showed the voltage, then they flicked a switch on the bottom for a few seconds and it tested the battery under load. I want something like this to test my batteries.
I also have a DMM if its possible to use that with a shunt or something? (you may need to explain how to)
I have a parts store nearby so should be able to get all the parts needed.

Thanks
Stu

I have one of these that I use to determine if a battery has sufficient Cranking Amps. This does not measure the battery capacity in AH, however.

I built a computer-controlled battery capacity tester that discharges a lead-acid battery at 30A to a preset cutoff voltage (~11.5V), and logs the discharge/recharge curve into an Excel file. Post if you are interested in the details.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back