Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best way to supply 12V from batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antknee

I'm wondering what is the best way to supply 12V from batteries. I could use a 9V PP3 and two AA batteries but it seems a bit cumbersome. Ideally I'd like one battery which was rechargeable and had a reasonable amp/hour rating.

What do you think?

Regards,

Antknee.

How much power do you need? How accurate does the 12 V have to be? Alkaline batteries are considered flat at about 1.0 - 1.2 V per cell, so if you need 12 V all the time, you need about 12 cells so two PP3s in series might be quite good.

It is to power an audio amp, I need 10V minimum but more volts is ok. I'm currently using 4 of the PP3 batteries but the leads from them are a bit cumbersome and I don't need 36V. Ideally I'd like 12V with a bigger amp hour rating. Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes I just looked them up, that is what I need. I have seen them before, they just don't spring to mind unless prompted!

I know that radioshack sells recharable 12v batteries, but they are big, just a little bigger than a latern 6v. You could just use a wall wart, or whatever you call them. I ditched batteries about a year ago and now I stock pile those for all my projects.

Mike

You could get a 12v SLA battery from the likes of Maplin, plus a charger too if you don't have one.

Or.........

You could get a cheapie cordless drill from Aldi or Lidl for around the same price and use the battery pack & charger, plus you'll have a geared DC motor to use for robotics if that is one of your interests.

I have seen them at Maplin for about £17, I can get a similar one online for £12. The good thing about Maplin is that the quality of what they sell is often the best and returns are easy. Will have to decide if I want the convenience and quality or best price.

I already have a cheap 12V drill, using the charger on that is an excellent idea! I looked at the price of chargers in Maplin and it was £20, looked at car battery chargers and it is the same price.

Recently used one of these in a project:

**broken link removed**

It's a 12v 1.3Ah rechargeable lead acid battery. Panasonic LC-R121R3P. Works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back