Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best way to label ABS enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

md95

I'd like to get some ideas on what to use to label a black ABS plastic PCB enclosure. I just need simple lettering to label inputs/outputs, switches, ect. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Matt

I'd like to get some ideas on what to use to label a black ABS plastic PCB enclosure. I just need simple lettering to label inputs/outputs, switches, ect. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Matt

hi,
Is this for you or a client.?
Reason for asking, is the quality you require.:)

It's just for me, but i'd like it to look somewhat professional. Keep in mind i dont have or have access to any special silkscreen equipment, and i'd like to keep it rather inexpensive if possible. Thanks!

It's just for me, but i'd like it to look somewhat professional. Keep in mind i dont have or have access to any special silkscreen equipment, and i'd like to keep it rather inexpensive if possible. Thanks!

I see,
A low cost way is white Lettraset transfer characters with the Clear varnish.

The characters are applied using a soft HB pencil with Lettraset transfers, then when done apply a clear aerosol lacquer.

How does that sound.?:)

EDIT:

I find that 3mm high characters are the best size for knobs, switches etc.

Last edited:
I see,
A low cost way is white Lettraset transfer characters with the Clear varnish.

The characters are applied using a soft HB pencil with Lettraset transfers, then when done apply a clear aerosol lacquer.

How does that sound.?:)

That sounds perfect. What exactly is a "HB" pencil, and where can I find these transfers?

That sounds perfect. What exactly is a "HB" pencil, and where can I find these transfers?

Dont know where you are located, but in the UK any stationery shop sells both items. The shops that supply businesses are best.

When using them, its best if the panel/box dosnt have the components mounted, just the plain box. A HB pencil is a soft black lead pencil.

Clean the panel first to remove any oils etc.

Apply a very light coat of varnish AFTER you have done all the Lettraset, wait till it realy dries and apply another light coat.

OK.

Where you located.?

Last edited:
I'm in the USA, Michigan to be exact. I believe i may have found something at a craft store called Michaels. I may try our local "office max" and "office depot" too. I think i've got it figured out though, thanks again for your help!

You can also print on blank shipping labels (think Avory), cut them out and press on. Coat with clear lacer before cutting. It is easiest to use the large ones that comes in a sheet with 6 to the page.
The problem I had with individual letters, was alignment, very tedious.

Last edited:
I'm in the USA, Michigan to be exact. I believe i may have found something at a craft store called Michaels. I may try our local "office max" and "office depot" too. I think i've got it figured out though, thanks again for your help!

They are also called ' Dry Transfer Markers'

Buy Dry Transfer Lettering by Chartpak

EDIT:
A6M Zero Stencil Data Dry Transfers Review by Rodger Kelly (Hobby Decal 1/72, 1/48, 1/32)
Dry Transfer Lettering, Burnishers and Frisket Knife

EDIT2:
An alternative method: **broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back