Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best way to desolder and remove a 24-pin SMD IC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilykat

I need to remove and replace an SMD, a 2kx8 SRAM in 24 pin package. The leads I believe are 0.05 inch pitch. I don't have hot air station as I never needed to remove anything beyond SMD resistor and transistors. 2 and 3 leads were easy to remove with iron and tweezer.

I have tried desoldering braid but it doesn't wick up at all, I think the IC were soldered in with solder paste and not regular solder, those seems to cause me trouble. The other desoldering tool I have is vacuum type and it only works with through hold desoldering. I had considered trying to wedge in something under the IC and heating up leads to soften the solder but I risk popping up traces.

So any idea how can I desolder and remove the IC safely? THe soldering iron I use is a variable temp and uses Hakko type tip, the SMD IC attachment I found were for different iron that doesn't use heating rod inside the iron like Hakko and clones.

Can you clip all the pins off the IC? Then you can work on them a few at a time. If you add solder with a lower melting temperature it helps.

As above, but use a sharp knife (scalpel etc.) to cut the leads against the body of the chip, then use a soldering iron to remove all the pins from the board - adding a blob of solder across all the pins helps.

Lastly remove the chip, this may be glued down, but a sharp 'tap' using a screwdriver as a chisel pops it off the board.

I agree on clipping the leads as the easiest way.

If you are faced with a similar situation and need to preserve the chip, I have used ChipQuik solder. It is a very low melting alloy with bismuth and indium. You flood the pins with it, then use solder braid to suck it up. That produces a low melting alloy at the pins. ChipQuik itself melts at 136 ºF (58°C) (https://www.chipquik.com/datasheets/SMD1.pdf ), so an ordinary hair dryer or heat lamp will melt it. After removal, suck up the excess with wick and resolder as usual.

John

I didn't want to use knife, I run the risk of slipping and cutting trace or my fingers. My smallest wire cutter can't quite fit in there and when I tried the video trick above, the clip melted all the solder but the chip wouldn't budge even with force. I ended up doing the dentist pick trick, heated and lifted one pin at a time. When all 24 pins were lifted, it still wouldn't come off.

I ended up tapping the screwdriver and it finally popped off, someone used quite a bit of glue to hold the chip down. I cleaned the excess solder. and checking under magnifying glass and my meter all 24 pins are still intact and still connected so no trace was severed or pad lifted. I still have to clean up flux and install the new chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back