Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best TVS Diode Voltage for a 24V Truck system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigman

Hey I am looking into TVS to protect a small circuit in an Automotive environment (truck) running 24V system. All the information I've been finding talk about 12V systems and their suggested TVS Diode voltage but I am struggling to find what the most suitable TVS Diode voltage should be for a 24V system? Does anyone know?

I would have said that you want a diode that is a few volts more than the maximum working voltage.

On a 24 V system, the voltage will be 28 to 29 V when the alternator is running. You should have a TVS that has a maximum working voltage at least 30 V.

The clamping voltage, which is the voltage that the TVS will limit a high-current pulse to, is much larger. What are you trying to protect?

Thanks guys, my issue is damage to the SMPS Fet in a 24V environment. I've since found the problem to be related to Transient Voltages. I have re-designed all the input stuff, up to and including the SMPS fet(was rated 40V as I didn't understand Transients when I built it), to be rated at the maximum clamping voltage and have chosen 2 x 36V 3000W TVS diodes to be safe. Thanks for your help guys.
Ohh the SMPS just switches down to 12V for other lower voltage bits and pieces, nothing fancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back