Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

best source for a set of component parts to experiment with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason41987

hey everyone, im learning more about circuitry, microcontrollers, and electronics, and im looking to begin experimenting with some projects, so i was looking for a place to get started, perhaps a kit that might contain all the resistors, transistors, capacitors, and other component parts to get started building circuits... does anyone know of such a setup, or a low price place in the united states i can order parts from in bulk in the quantities i need?

Hi Jason,

It would be better if you told us where you are based.

We all have our favourite sources for components but some countries and areas seem to have better access to parts than others. So give us an idea where you are and I and others I'm sure will advise you of what we think are the best sources.

Al

Last edited:
Ebay was the cheapest place for me to acquire a kit. Amazon was 3 times the price. I'm in Scotland though, so don't really know if these kits are relatively cheap in the US. The prices in £ are cheap though.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

does anyone know of such a setup, or a low price place in the united states
io

Also consider the possibilites in the "amateur radio" world (commonly reffered to as "Ham Radio" especially in the USA).

Various clubs and associations will from time to time organise "junk sales" or "Hamfests".

Here one will find all sorts of stuff, new, old, good stuff, junk, overpriced junk, a gem of a bargain.
Unfortunately I cannot advise where to find one near to you in the USA.
I do know that there is a BIG one which takes place every year in Dayton Ohio, this years event took place a few weeks ago.

I am currently in Friedrichshafen in southern Germany, attending the biggest such event in Europe.
There is all sorts of stuff there from small components for 1Euro a bag, to test equipment costing 10,000 to 15,000Euro.
And a good time was had by all!
See here, for information:

For the Dayton event, look here:
https://www.hamvention.org/

There are also many smaller local events rather than having to travel hundreds or thousands of miles.

JimB

Last edited:
thanks for the information, i jameco has everything i wanted, including a 1000 piece grab bag, solderless bread boards, and chips

while im thinking about it, what are some good pic and avr books i should read to learn more about them?

You'll probably get a knowledgeable response if you start a separate thread for this in the proper forum category, "Microcontrollers/AVR", etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back