Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best Scrolling LED Text MCU Circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keny

Hey I have had great successes here with a few projects of mine, thanks to everyone's help. I am starting to standardize my LED signage project to a point where I want to make one card that will apply to many many signs. I want it to be able to drive ~200 LED's. Instead of a text scroller I have different "Zones" but it still operates under the principle of an LED Matrix. I have seen a few circuits and am looking for the one that resonates as one of the better, more reliable circuits.

I am thinking along the lines of a series of 74HC595's and a MCU, I also want to have PWM control of the LED intensity. Can you think of a successful project example I could use to cut my teeth on? I am trying to roll something out pretty soon, so I'd rather hear some testimony of which one to use as opposed to ordering the wrong parts 2 or 3 times.

Cheers,
Keny

Do you intend to control the LED intensity individually or just brighten/dim the entire display?

I may have a later issue of dealing with the different intensity curves of different colored LED's. I've had that problem in the past.

My current design uses 113 LED's with the following specs:

48 5 mm Wht Vf 2.8 -3.4 (at 20ma)
39 5 mm Blue Vf 2.8 -3.4 (at 20ma)
20 5 mm Yellow Vf-1.8 -2.4, (at 20ma
1 10 mm Wht 3 - 3.6 -@20mA
1 10 mm Grn Vf 3 - 3.6 - @20mA
4 10 mm Red Vf 2 - 2.5 - @20mA

i plan to use MPLab with some applicable version of C. My last project was PIC18F's i think i dont need all that, but then again I have a system (and software) that works for that. I want to install a lot of display programs in the device, perhaps 10 - 20, so I would like a little bit of memory which to do such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back