Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best resource for picbasic

Status
Not open for further replies.

philr

Hello

i am trying to look at various resources either books or online for getting started with basic programming, i like to support my local library but a search did not come back with much.

I am very new to this, only just recently successfully programmed my 16f690 to blink a led, (must state the program was supplied as part of a download) but it worked so i know software & hardware are working correctly.

i am also struggling understand the vast amount of info in the datasheets for various pics etc.

i have printed out the ports etc but unable to work out how to map the pins ie which is pin 7 without actually saying port b.1 for example.

i am really keen to start programming just basic stuff which for me is a great hands on way of learning (works best for me).

thanks for your time

phil

Hello

i have printed out the ports etc but unable to work out how to map the pins ie which is pin 7 without actually saying port b.1 for example.

i am really keen to start programming just basic stuff which for me is a great hands on way of learning (works best for me).

thanks for your time

phil
The compiler should be able define constants for the port pins. Like:

Code:
#define Pin7 PortC.3
    --OR--
#define Led0 PortC.0

Rather than going the book route, just start implementing the basic library's, like Port pins (digital output and input), a-d, lcd, uart, I2C, SPI etc. The compilers manual or documentation should help getting familiar with the languages syntax and command structure. There should be plenty of example code available. Then implement those tools, to create a meaningful project. For instance, a temperature readout on an lcd.

The data sheets are a necessary evil, take them in small doses when working thru the peripheral examples.

thanks for the tips, i will take a look at proton basic. Glad you recommend taking my time with the datasheets, what a mine field of info. phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back