Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best place to buy PICs from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hippogriff

I would like to buy some PIC 16F1825s... not a huge number, 5 to 10 of them - and I can find them in stock at numerous places like Microchip Direct, Mouser, Farnell etc. but nowhere that seems to offer them for what I would class as a reasonable carriage charge... Microchip direct is the most reasonable (it seems) at £9.65 carriage for 5 x 16F1825s totalling £4.35... others are even more expensive. Sadly, I don't want any other bits-and-bobs at the moment or I'd swallow the charge and stock up on other stuff.

Where is the best place to get your PICs from? I'll be honest and say that I usually use eBay, partially due to finding sellers with reasonable P&P charges, but I am drawing a black on there for these at the moment.

Yes, I had looked there previously, too... if I could've got them there I would be only up for a delivery charge of £4.95... seemingly because I am not a business, so they charge hobbyists like me £4.95... I've not got my head around that one yet. But, as you say, it's pretty much academic, 'cos they don't have the actual part anyway, yet. I thought I'd seen it at Farnell, while on my search, but I must've been mistaken.

£6.05 for 5 x PIC16F1825s (40% more than Microchip Direct) then £12.00 shipping. Doesn't look good until you spend £50 to get free shipping, but if all the other prices are in the same vein, you'll have well overspent by the time you reach that level.

Mouser is £5.45 and £12.00 shipping.

Last edited:
... seemingly because I am not a business, so they charge hobbyists like me £4.95... I've not got my head around that one yet.

That's because hobbyists tend to make just nickel-and-dime orders, whereas businesses typically order more, making it possible for the vendor to waive that charge.

I know, because I'm a hobbyist, and I make lots of little bitty orders.

Farnell has free postage, you just need an order over £20 if you're not an account holder (I ordered a load of 16F1827's and 16F648's from there recently).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back