Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best PIC Progammer for the PIC18Fxxxx series

Status
Not open for further replies.

cucamunga

Hi you guys, here i'm writing again some troubles.
I have a PIC18F458 and a PIC18F4580 microcontrollers but i being having some troubles to programming them... i build the SCHAER+ (https://pagesperso-orange.fr/softelec/Projects/PIC18/SCHAER+/Projects_PIC18_Schaer_us.htm) but i couldn't erase the 18F458 after programming it.
My main problem right now is that programmer use it a 7407 chip, and someone tell me that chip is discontinued (don't know if that is true, but has being very difficult for me to get it)...and also if you don't have the DLL file you could not program another PIC...so thats a real trouble for me because in that web page the owner has not upload the DLL for the PIC18F458.

...soooo.... my question is if someone know a easy-to-build PIC programmer, with new components (not discontinues), can program the 18F series and hopefully works with ICPROG

thank you a lot you guys and sorry for my bad english.

Last edited:
My vote goes to Bill's .

You should consider filling in your location when you ask questions like this.

Mike.

Pommie said:
My vote goes to Bill's .

You should consider filling in your location when you ask questions like this.

Mike.

that programmer kind of sucks...

sorry...Valparaiso, Chile.

Last edited:
blueroomelectronics said:
And why is that?
sucks for a people that can't build it (very thin lines that can't be done at home)... only because of that. i really don't know that programmer....nothing personal.

It is a kit, I don't publish the artwork. Many have successfully handwired just the programmer section and it works great.
It's also a lot more than just a programmer, it's a debugger too and a UART tool. Handy stuff and since it uses MPLAB it automatically gets new firmware when required.
I sell the bare PCB too including the SIP resistors for $18, unless your time is worth nothing that's got to be cheaper than a DIY PCB (layout, etching, drilling)

**broken link removed**
My handwired prototype. Just the basics (No 2N7000 or BS250) and using a 18F4550 I had on hand at the time.

Last edited:
Miss-informed

Bill,

I guess he didn't look up the picture of mine built on stripe board that runs like a (insert appropriate word here) (clock, sewing machine, truck).

:eek:

August Treubig said:
Bill,

I guess he didn't look up the picture of mine built on stripe board that runs like a (insert appropriate word here) (clock, sewing machine, truck).

:eek:

Post it up, or email it to me.

cucamunga said:
the thing is... i'm from Chile... not Canada.
We ship worldwide. About 8,000 Pesos + shipping (3,500 CLP)

Most parts are pretty common, the BS250 and 680uH inductor are about the only unusual parts.

can you publish the programmer schematic only?... the one you said that many had handwire it...
thanks... i see that is USB.

The programmer schematic is clearly divided from the tutor in the manual. Yes it's real USB and very fast. You can omit the 2N7000 & short out the BS250 D&S if you can't get them locally. They simply add VPP before VDD programming.

Last edited:
Pretty sure he's seen the schematic. Not too tough to figure out the programmer from the tutor, I did use a big green line and lablels too.

Don't assume

After getting source and drain backwards on the BS250P, I am into being clear. And it really is working well. From MPLAB, from the Pickit 2 gui, plus from SwordFish using your instructions.

I've got a new batch of T-92 BS205K and they go in same direction as the 2N7000

I'm in the habit of measuring for the diode on new parts.

I don't know about the BS250P but the BS250 is obsolete and not recommended for new designs.
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back