Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best Part to Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King of Camelot

Ok, my problem is I have a voltage regulator, that i need to set depending on some input from a microcontroller. Now, the voltage regulator i have picked out is set by either leaving a pin on it unconnected, or have it connected to a Ground on the voltage regulator, allowing it to set several different voltages. Now, what would be the best way to have input from the microcontroller change which ones are connected to that ground, and which ones aren't? I a new to electronics, so any help would be much appreciated.

Ok, I decided to scrap that idea and use an Digital to Analog convertor instead of a regulator to get my voltage, now, the only problem is that I either need one that can output up to 12 volts, or something to boost the voltage from one I was looking at to about 11.4 volts from 5.1 volts. Any suggestions?

What is the load on the 11.4 volts, in terms of milliamps, amps,...?

Can you select a microcontroller that has an analog output?

With appropriate considerations for the current/voltage/power, it would seem that a single transistor with appropriate voltage divider on the input and proper power supply might also work.

More of a question to others: could a simple LM317 with the appropriate external resistors, be "adjusted" via an external current source (the analog output) so that there is some regulation for a varying load?

Thanks for your advice, I decided to use an op-amp like Phasor said because it sounded easiest to do. :D Now, I have yet another problem. I am using an ADC. Now only problem is the voltage I want to convert is between 6-12 volts which is too high for the ADC. I was thinking I could drop the voltage 6 volts so it stayed on the 6 volt scale, I would just add 6 on to the voltage taken from the ADC. What could I use to drop it down 6 volts? If I used a resistor, how would I determine the ohms if it is going straight to a pin on the ADC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back